Pub staff providing New Year's taxi service
- Credit: Archant
A much-loved Suffolk pub is helping its New Year's Eve revellers get home safe - with a staff-operated taxi service.
The Chequers Pub in Stowmarket Road, Great Blakenham, is hosting a ticket-only New Year's Eve party on December 31.
But travel to and from the pub could have been an issue for some - so the team came up with a way to ensure that locals didn't have to worry about getting home after the countdown.
Owner David Laing said: "We realised that taxis and transport are expensive and difficult to hire, especially outside of Ipswich town centre.
"So we arranged for two members of our team to provide a taxi service for our guests to the surrounding area.
"We were sold out for our last New Year before Covid, so we expect to be busy and our free taxi service very popular."
Party-goers can book their taxi home by getting in touch with the pub team.
- 1 Face masks to be compulsory in shops and public transport, PM announces
- 2 Van driver jailed after A12 crash left motorist with life-changing injuries
- 3 Ipswich man charged with string of motoring offences
- 4 Pensioner who was racially abusive has jail sentence cut
- 5 Could American fast food chain Wendy's open a Suffolk restaurant next year?
- 6 More than 20 drivers caught at speeds of 100mph on A14 within an hour
- 7 European store wants to sell alcohol at old Co-op store in Ipswich
- 8 Online shoppers head to Ipswich for big brands like Primark
- 9 New store opens in California fulfilling owner's dream
- 10 Thousands of cigarettes seized after HMRC officers raid Ipswich stores
The pub reopened after the first national lockdown with a brand-new look, when Mr Laing said he was very pleased with the refit and kerb appeal.
The party includes a three-course meal, drinks and canapes and music from the pub's popular Elvis tribute act.