Yellow weather warning for ice in East Anglia - and 70% chance of snow
- Credit: Archant
Rain, sleet and maybe even snow will be dusting the Suffolk coast this morning, with commuters on the road and rails urged to take caution in icy conditions.
Freezing temperatures overnight mean that conditions on trains and major roads could be treacherous, with a yellow weather warning in place for ice across the whole region until 11am.
A mostly dry day for Suffolk overall, a weather front moving across the North Sea could cause rain, sleet or even snow in colder patches on the coast in north Suffolk.
Weatherquest forecasters estimate that there is a 70% chances of snow for East Anglia today - but only a 30% chance of it settling before melting away as thermometers rise.
West Suffolk residents are less likely to see any of the white stuff, but also most likely to stay dry in the chilly conditions.
You may also want to watch:
Gritting lorries have treated the busiest roads in the region but drivers are still warned that patches of ice could cause them problems.
The advice is to allow extra time for journeys, give yourself a greater breaking distance and allow more room for cyclists, motorcyclists and pedestrians.
- 1 Man pulled into car before being beaten and robbed in Ipswich
- 2 Farmfoods set to move in as Aldi confirms closure of store on Ipswich estate
- 3 Man and woman arrested after Ipswich stabbing
- 4 Police want to trace man in connection with Waterfront sexual assault
- 5 Suffolk coast flood alert issued including Felixstowe and Ipswich
- 6 Pair who hid murderer are among trio jailed for running drug syndicate
- 7 Is a new tenant lined up to move into Ancient House in Ipswich?
- 8 Pictures show flooding along Suffolk coast
- 9 70-year-old woman arrested in connection with human trafficking offences
- 10 Ipswich market moves as work starts on Botanist restaurant
Cold weather kits for the coming cold snap are also advised, with scrapers, de-icer and a cloth for removing condensation absolutely vital for visibility.
Rail users are advised to monitor the Greater Anglia website for the latest in travel news on the rails.
The first speed restrictions for cold weather were announced about 7am for January 23, but passengers may experience problem with late journeys this evening when temperatures drop again.
More frosty lows are due tonight as well, with parts of rural Suffolk and north Essex getting down to -5C.
Depending on how cold your area gets overnight, residents could see cloudy skies or freezing fog on Thursday morning, January 24.