Gun allegedly fired by intruders who kicked in front door of block of flats in Stoke Street, Ipswich
- Credit: Archant
Two intruders allegedly fired a gun in a block of flats near Ipswich town centre in the early hours of this morning.
Police received a call at 1.15am from a male resident in Stoke Street who reported that two men had “kicked in the front door” and fired a gun in the entrance area of the small block of flats.
There were no injuries reported during the incident, which is being treated by police as a targeted attack.
Officers attended the scene and carried out a search of the area but could not find the suspects.
A Suffolk Constabulary spokesman said: “Officers were called at 1.15am by a member of the public who reported that his property in Stoke Street had been broken into.
“The victim reported that he was woken by the sound of banging, before seeing two men kick in the front door and shoot a gun at the entrance to the property. No-one was harmed during the incident.
“The offenders immediately left the scene. Police officers attended and searched the area but the suspects were not located. One of the offenders is described as a white man of slim build and medium height, wearing dark clothing.”
- 1 Woman jailed for having sex with Ipswich schoolboy
- 2 Police launch appeal to identify man after incident in Ipswich
- 3 Group of youths seen carrying weapons in Ipswich park
- 4 Animal sex charges against Kesgrave vet dropped, but child images admitted
- 5 Ice cream kiosk at Suffolk beauty spot destroyed in arson
- 6 Education 'exemplary' at Outstanding Ipswich academy
- 7 Food review, La Cueva, Ipswich: 'Delicious food... and sparkly cocktails!'
- 8 Jail for Ipswich man who stole £2,000 worth of goods from Suffolk stores
- 9 First look at 172-bed student accommodation plan
- 10 Police stop two vans overloaded by more than a ton each in Ipswich
Officers returned to the scene this morning and carried out door-to-door inquiries in the area. Forensic police also carried out investigation work in the block of flats.
Police have confirmed that they received one report of the alleged shooting incident in the early hours of this morning.
Detective inspector Matt Connick, of Suffolk Constabulary, said: “We believe this to be a targeted attack, with no wider threat to members of the public.
“We are working with the victim to gather further information relating to the incident and have officers at the scene carrying out an investigation.
“I would encourage anyone who saw anything suspicious in the area or who has any information that may assist our investigation to get in touch.”
One resident who lives nearby told this newspaper that they were asleep and did not hear anything during the night.
If you think you can help the investigation, please call police on 101, quoting CAD 5 of April 14, or Crimestoppers anonymously on 0800 555111.