Gusts and rain forecast all day as Storm Gareth rages on
- Credit: Archant
After closing the Orwell Bridge, Storm Gareth continues to batter Suffolk and all of East Anglia.
Forecasters predict another windy start to the day with gusts expected to reach up to 60mph.
The Orwell Bridge closure caused havoc on roads well beyond Ipswich and there are potential gusts coming that could do the same today.
Despite a day of severe weather, Weatherquest’s forecasting director Chris Bell predicts there is more to come today.
He said: “The winds are not going to die down quickly. the worst of the winds are expected to happen between 11am and 2pm, when the gusts could reach up to 50-60mph.
You may also want to watch:
“Yesterday we saw gusts up to 60mph and we can expect the same kind of speeds today.
“They will ease off in the afternoon to between 40-50mph by about 5pm, then lower again overnight.
- 1 Former Ipswich teacher appears in court charged with historic sex offences
- 2 Supermarket switch opens door to new Ipswich Lidl
- 3 Police want to trace man in connection with Waterfront sexual assault
- 4 Work finally starts on the Ipswich Garden Suburb after decades of debate
- 5 70-year-old woman arrested in connection with human trafficking offences
- 6 Man and woman arrested after Ipswich stabbing
- 7 Life sentence for Hartshorne-Jones who shot wife dead at home
- 8 Well-known Felixstowe bookseller to retire and hand over to vinyl store
- 9 Pictures show flooding along Suffolk coast
- 10 No need to wait for booster invitation - clarification after Covid jab confusion
“There may be showers this morning but these will likely clear for this afternoon.
“However, when we get powerful gusts they can often come with sudden showers as well, so be aware of rain throughout the day.”
Heading into Friday the forecast shows a dry start to the night, but spots of rain in the early hours of the morning.