Gym staff shocked by death
STAFF at a health centre are in mourning today after a 67-year-old man collapsed and died after working out in a gym.The man, who has not been named, collapsed at the Clarice House health and leisure club in Horringer, near Bury St Edmunds.
STAFF at a health centre are in mourning today after a 67-year-old man collapsed and died after working out in a gym.
The man, who has not been named, collapsed at the Clarice House health and leisure club in Horringer, near Bury St Edmunds.
It is believed the man had been exercising and had taken break to chat with other gym users when he suddenly collapsed.
Staff battled to revive the man, who was a regular user of the centre, until paramedics arrived. He was taken to the West Suffolk Hospital in Bury St Edmunds, but he was later pronounced dead.
You may also want to watch:
The incident happened at about 9.40am and the man's death has left staff and users of the gym shocked and upset.
A Clarice House spokesman said: "The man was using the gym early on Monday morning when he collapsed. It was quite busy and people were upset by what happened.
- 1 Audi left wrecked after late-night crash in Ipswich
- 2 Did you hear the loud 'bang' coming from Ipswich park?
- 3 Work to start on 150 new Ipswich council homes next year
- 4 Matchday Recap: Plenty of positives despite Palace defeat
- 5 Family concerned after 15-year-old girl reported missing from Ipswich
- 6 Woman 'alarmed and distressed' after verbal abuse in Ipswich
- 7 Jailed in Suffolk: Burglar, dangerous driver and drug dealer put behind bars
- 8 New homes and dormitory block planned for Ipswich school site
- 9 See inside 5 of the most expensive dream homes in Ipswich
- 10 Man, 20, to face trial over £1,500 drug haul
"He had stopped exercising and was talking with some other people when he just collapsed. Our staff did try to revive him, but the paramedics got here very quickly and he was taken away in an ambulance.
"The man was a regular member of the club and always seemed fit and healthy. Obviously we are all very sad and shocked by what has happened. He was a popular member and it is a sad loss."
It is believed the man, who was retired, lived in the Bury St Edmunds area.