Gym staff shocked by death
STAFF at a health centre are in mourning today after a 67-year-old man collapsed and died after working out in a gym.The man, who has not been named, collapsed at the Clarice House health and leisure club in Horringer, near Bury St Edmunds.
STAFF at a health centre are in mourning today after a 67-year-old man collapsed and died after working out in a gym.
The man, who has not been named, collapsed at the Clarice House health and leisure club in Horringer, near Bury St Edmunds.
It is believed the man had been exercising and had taken break to chat with other gym users when he suddenly collapsed.
Staff battled to revive the man, who was a regular user of the centre, until paramedics arrived. He was taken to the West Suffolk Hospital in Bury St Edmunds, but he was later pronounced dead.
The incident happened at about 9.40am and the man's death has left staff and users of the gym shocked and upset.
A Clarice House spokesman said: "The man was using the gym early on Monday morning when he collapsed. It was quite busy and people were upset by what happened.
- 1 Person dies in Ipswich house fire
- 2 Karaoke noise complaints prompts fear Grade II pub could close
- 3 First case of Omicron confirmed in Suffolk with 16 more suspected
- 4 Family's gratitude after Christmas samaritan's £50 act of kindness
- 5 Police 'concerned' for missing 15-year-old who was last seen a week ago
- 6 Speed limit on Orwell Bridge reduced as Storm Barra hits region
- 7 When will my bins be collected this Christmas?
- 8 Matchday Recap: McGreal's Town beaten at The Valley
- 9 Man who left taxi driver with serious head injuries admits attack
- 10 'Emotions are high' - McGreal on ugly scenes following Charlton loss
"He had stopped exercising and was talking with some other people when he just collapsed. Our staff did try to revive him, but the paramedics got here very quickly and he was taken away in an ambulance.
"The man was a regular member of the club and always seemed fit and healthy. Obviously we are all very sad and shocked by what has happened. He was a popular member and it is a sad loss."
It is believed the man, who was retired, lived in the Bury St Edmunds area.