Hadleigh couple Jerry and Maureen Corder mark 60 years of marriage
A couple who both hail from the same Suffolk town but met by chance on a coach trip in the West Country are celebrating their diamond anniversary.
Jerry and Maureen Corder were married at St Mary’s Church in Hadleigh on September 14, 1957.
The pair moved into their home in Benton Street, Hadleigh, shortly after their wedding and have lived there ever since.
Maureen said: “We are very happy and we are lucky really because we are both in good health and that makes all the difference.”
When they met during a coach holiday in 1954, Jerry, 86, and Maureen, 85, both lived in Hadleigh but had not been formally acquainted.
Maureen is a former assistant at a secondary school in Hadleigh and Jerry made his career in local government, with stints at both Ipswich Borough Council and Suffolk County Council.
They have three daughters, one son and six grandchildren.
- 1 Man detained after early morning incident in Ipswich road
- 2 Firefighters called to Ipswich house fire
- 3 Baby and toddler retailer Mamas & Papas set for Ipswich return
- 4 Man who stole over £1,000 in power tools jailed for 876 days
- 5 Woman injured after leg bitten by dog in Ipswich
- 6 Ipswich residents' frustration over parking chaos
- 7 Boy, 14, arrested after serious sex attack in Suffolk town is released
- 8 'Severe' delays on A12 outside Ipswich after crash closes road
- 9 7 roadworks for drivers in Suffolk to be aware of this week
- 10 Some East of England Co-op stores unable to take cash
The couple plan to celebrate the milestone with their family.