Hadleigh/Felixstowe: Police probe death of pensioner after medication blunder

Douglas Lamond

Douglas Lamond - Credit: Contributed

A LEADING chemist has denied it has been unco-operative during a suspected medical negligence police inquiry after the death of an 86-year-old visually-impaired man.

Detectives from Suffolk Constabulary’s major investigation team have been probing Douglas Lamond’s death after he was supplied incorrect medication from Boots.

The family of Mr Lamond, who lived in Old Felixstowe, said they believe Boots could have done more to help the police inquiry.

A file is currently with the Crown Prosecution Service awaiting a decision whether there is enough evidence to bring a charge in relation to Mr Lamond’s death in May last year.

His daughter Dianne Moore, who lives in the Hadleigh area, said her family feel dismayed and incredulous because they believe Boots has not co-operated fully with the investigation.

Mrs Moore said it was particularly important due to the seriousness of the incident where the wrong medication was delivered to her father, who could hardly see, and the potential vulnerability of others.

She added: “In our opinion something has gone very wrong prior to the tragic death of my father. We would all like to know what and how, and are determined that any necessary lessons are learnt.”

Most Read

Paying tribute to Mr Lamond, who served in the RAF and had worked for Felixstowe Dock and Railway Company, Mrs Moore said: “He was a lovely, lovely man.

“My father was an honest, kind, and gentle man. He touched the hearts of many people. He was doing his best to live a full and independent life despite his sight problems.

“We were devastated by his death and the circumstances surrounding it.”

A spokeswoman for Boots said: “Boots UK is not in a position to comment on the detail of what is an ongoing police investigation.

“However, we have provided considerable co-operation to assist with this inquiry and we do not consider that our conduct has in any way impeded its progress.

“Our thoughts remain with Douglas Lamond’s family at this difficult time.”

Lisa Miller a spokeswoman for Suffolk Constabulary said: “The investigation into the death of Douglas Lamond continues. A formal advice file has been submitted to the Crown Prosecution Service for consideration.”

Mr Lamond died on May 12 after being taken to Ipswich Hospital when he fell ill.

Last September a Suffolk Police spokeswoman said: “Initial inquiries would suggest Mr Lamond had been given an incorrect prescription from his pharmacy. However, it has not been established whether the medication Mr Lamond took led to his death.

A post mortem and further tests proved inconclusive, the police spokeswoman said.

“Corrective procedures have been introduced at the pharmacy concerned to ensure the correct prescriptions are given to the correct person,” she added