Halloween heaven for stranded customer

HALLOWEEN was more of a treat than a trick for one 24Seven customer when a knight in shining armour knocked at her door to restore her power.At just after 9pm yesterday a man arrived at Carole Appleby's house and said he had come to restore her electricity supply without his bosses knowing.

By Georgina James

WHAT a difference a day – and a knight in shining armour – makes!

Halloween was more of a treat than a trick for one 24Seven customer when a real hero knocked at her door to restore her power.

At just after 9pm yesterday a man arrived at Carole Appleby's house and said he had come to restore her electricity supply without his bosses knowing.

The good Samaritan from 24Seven heard about the mother of three's troubles on the radio and took it upon himself to help her out.

"He told me his bosses didn't know he was here. He said he heard my speaking on the radio and felt sorry and wanted to do something to help.

Most Read

"I am so grateful to him. This guy didn't want to ignore my problem. When people like him take that extra step and give that little bit extra it makes such a difference – my children bounced out of bed today," she said.

She added: "Most people don't have a problem with the workmen on the ground but the people in suits who have ignored the problems of their customers."

Mrs Appleby, who lives in School Hill, Boxford, had been without power since 8.30am on Sunday, said it only took the man less than 30 minutes to restore her supply.

Earlier a 24Seven employee told Mrs Appleby that her electricity supply would be restored sooner if she lived in a council house.

That was just one bizarre telephone conversation the mother of three had with a member of 24Seven's customer services team. They also told her situation was not priority as the power failure only affected her property.

"I couldn't believe that was a reason they were giving," she said.

Mrs Appleby said she was so grateful to all the help given by various people in the community since her difficulties were broadcast on BBC Radio Suffolk.

"Everyone has been fantastic – there was a real community spirit."

During her five day blackout Mrs Appleby had to rely on candle-light and cook on a small gas ring.

"I only dared lighting one room using candles because of the danger with the kids around.

"Cooking sausages using a battered operated torch was not easy and took about 30 minutes to boil a small amount of water. It was such a struggle every day."

Become a Supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years. Our industry faces testing times, which is why we're asking for your support. Every contribution will help us continue to produce local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Become a Supporter