Harley praises have-a-go hero
SUFFOLK-BASED rock legend Steve Harley has praised a have-a-go hero who helped him fight off a gang of street muggers in Spain.The singer was relaxing in Barcelona when a group of Eastern European gypsies began hustling customers at an open-air restaurant in the city centre.
SUFFOLK-BASED rock legend Steve Harley has praised a have-a-go hero who helped him fight off a gang of street muggers in Spain.
The singer was relaxing in Barcelona when a group of Eastern European gypsies began hustling customers at an open-air restaurant in the city centre.
One of the young women grabbed Steve's mobile phone and ran off, but as the Cockney Rebel front-man raised the alarm, a waiter gave chase and caught one of the thieves.
“He was a real hero,” said 52-year-old Steve, who lives near Sudbury and is best known for his 70s rock classic Make Me Smile.
“He didn't hesitate but ran after the gang and managed to catch the one who had snatched my phone. He made her give the phone - and the rest of her booty - back.
“I wasn't her only target, and the waiter served up a little on-the-spot justice.”
- 1 Severe delays on A14 and Orwell Bridge after wheel falls off ambulance
- 2 Lorry recovered after overturning on A14 roundabout at Felixstowe
- 3 Two hour delays on A14 after road closed near Felixstowe
- 4 5 businesses opening up in Ipswich soon
- 5 Taco Bell plans set to be approved
- 6 Driver taken to hospital after three-car crash on A12 near Ipswich
- 7 A14 slip road closed near Ipswich after BMW catches fire
- 8 Memorial match for colleague killed outside takeaway
- 9 'The food at this new Ipswich restaurant tastes amazing'
- 10 Suffolk cinemas at risk as Cineworld 'set to file for bankruptcy'
Steve, who also has a show on BBC Radio Two, was in Barcelona to see The Rolling Stones but the gig fell through when Keith Richards fell out of a tree.
He said: “I am really grateful to the waiter - my phone contains a list of all my music contacts and family photos and without it I am lost. I only ate a light snack but the waiter got a proper tip.”