Harley praises have-a-go hero
SUFFOLK-BASED rock legend Steve Harley has praised a have-a-go hero who helped him fight off a gang of street muggers in Spain.The singer was relaxing in Barcelona when a group of Eastern European gypsies began hustling customers at an open-air restaurant in the city centre.
SUFFOLK-BASED rock legend Steve Harley has praised a have-a-go hero who helped him fight off a gang of street muggers in Spain.
The singer was relaxing in Barcelona when a group of Eastern European gypsies began hustling customers at an open-air restaurant in the city centre.
One of the young women grabbed Steve's mobile phone and ran off, but as the Cockney Rebel front-man raised the alarm, a waiter gave chase and caught one of the thieves.
“He was a real hero,” said 52-year-old Steve, who lives near Sudbury and is best known for his 70s rock classic Make Me Smile.
You may also want to watch:
“He didn't hesitate but ran after the gang and managed to catch the one who had snatched my phone. He made her give the phone - and the rest of her booty - back.
“I wasn't her only target, and the waiter served up a little on-the-spot justice.”
- 1 Man pulled into car before being beaten and robbed in Ipswich
- 2 Farmfoods set to move in as Aldi confirms closure of store on Ipswich estate
- 3 Suffolk coast flood alert issued including Felixstowe and Ipswich
- 4 Major delays on A12 after five vehicle crash
- 5 Is a new tenant lined up to move into Ancient House in Ipswich?
- 6 Additional measures including face masks to be reintroduced to Suffolk schools
- 7 Ipswich market moves as work starts on Botanist restaurant
- 8 Pair who hid murderer are among trio jailed for running drug syndicate
- 9 HSBC announces temporary closure of Ipswich branch
- 10 Man and woman arrested after Ipswich stabbing
Steve, who also has a show on BBC Radio Two, was in Barcelona to see The Rolling Stones but the gig fell through when Keith Richards fell out of a tree.
He said: “I am really grateful to the waiter - my phone contains a list of all my music contacts and family photos and without it I am lost. I only ate a light snack but the waiter got a proper tip.”