Ipswich hockey duo George Pinner and Harry Martin picked for Commonwealth Games
- Credit: Grant Treeby
Suffolk hockey stars George Pinner and Harry Martin will be going for gold with England at the Commonwealth Games in Australia next month.
The Olympians are both included in the 18-man squad which will head to the Gold Coast having won silver at the recent Sultan Azlan Shah Cup in Malaysia.
The duo both won bronze with England at the last Commonwealth Games in Glasgow back in 2014.
England will face Malaysia, Pakistan, Wales and India in pool B with the top two sides qualifying for the semi-finals with the men’s final taking place on April 14.
Head coach Bobby Crutchley said: “We couldn’t be more excited for the Commonwealth Games in Australia. As a squad we have been training very hard and very well.
You may also want to watch:
“We start with a tough opening match against Malaysia and we are very much focused on that and making the semi-finals and ultimately looking to win a medal.”
- 1 Labour lose seats but retain power: Ipswich election results in full
- 2 See inside beautiful stately home near Ipswich - for one day only
- 3 Kesgrave shooting: Trial date agreed as boy faces attempted murder charge
- 4 Van's roof torn off as it gets stuck under Suffolk bridge
- 5 First views of £1.5m new seafront cafe as hoardings removed
- 6 Driver faces court after BMW clocked at 110mph on A14
- 7 Bookings now open for unique new Suffolk dining experience
- 8 Tories retain Suffolk County Council control - but Greens make huge gains
- 9 Did you enjoy a night out at Splitz Bar in 2002?
- 10 A weekend of potential departures as Town finish up their disappointing season