Have a close encounter of your own at airbase event
RENDLESHAM: It is world renowned as a hotspot for paranormal activity and now one expert is giving people the chance to have their own close encounter.
Ian Shillito from TV’s Most Haunted, will be at the former RAF Bentwaters site close to Rendlesham Forest, near Woodbridge, on Saturday night.
He is hoping to discover a connection between ghosts, supernatural beasts and UFOs – all of which have been reported to exist at the old air base, which in late 1980 is believed to have been the site of Britain’s very own Roswell.
Tickets are still available for the event, which is happening between 8pm and 4am.
Mr Shillito, who is also the author of Haunted West End Theatres, said: “It’s not just about ghosts, the whole aim of what we try to do is support local history, myths and legends and encourage community spirit.
“In 1980 several UFOs were spotted approaching the area by radar and descending into the trees. Lights were reported shining in the forest and staff from both bases were deployed to investigate.
“We have also been speaking to a lot of people who say the forest is full of other strange sightings and mysterious stories. From black dogs with red glowing eyes and the mythical ‘Shrug Monkey’ to sacred Leylines and ancient burial grounds – it seems the forest withholds many secrets and we would invite anyone who is interested to come along and find out more.”
- 1 Most desirable places to live in Ipswich according to estate agents
- 2 Jailed in Suffolk: The criminals locked up so far in 2022
- 3 Ipswich man charged with string of sexual offences
- 4 Ipswich Music Day 2022: All you need to know
- 5 Woman 'froze' after seeing masked men with machetes in Ipswich
- 6 Missing 12-year-old girl from Ipswich found safe
- 7 Plans for 440 homes and visitor centre in Ipswich Garden Suburb submitted
- 8 OPINION: Free sporting activities for children return to Ipswich this summer
- 9 Ipswich singer to perform UK festival tour after scoring club hit
- 10 Could you offer one of these rescue animals their forever home in Suffolk?
Through its Stargate Suffolk campaign The Evening Star has regularly highlighted the weird and wonderful goings on people have witnessed in the county.
The Rendlesham Forest incident happened in late December 1980 in the vicinity of RAF Bentwaters and RAF Woodbridge – both of which were being used by the United States Air Force (USAF).
Servicemen reported seeing unexplained lights and the alleged landing of a craft of unknown origin.
The Ministry of Defence (MoD) denied the event posed any threat to national security and stated that it was therefore never investigated as a security matter.
Tickets for Saturday’s event are priced �40 from London Paranormal Direct on 079822 30208 or by e-mailing email@example.com
n What do you think of the stories about Rendlesham Forest? Write to Your Letters, Evening Star, 30 Lower Brook Street, Ipswich, IP4 1AN, or e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org