Warning of 'severe' flooding in west Suffolk
- Credit: Suffolk Police
Police have warned motorists to beware "severe" flooding in Haverhill after the town experienced heavy rain and thunderstorms.
Several police units are currently helping to divert traffic away from Ehringshausen Way in Haverhill, between the Lidl and Sturmer Roundabout.
Videos taken at the scene by officers show flood water covering the road.
Officers have called for drivers to avoid the scene and find alternative routes.
Met Office meteorologist Steven Keates said parts of the south between south Suffolk could be deluged by 100mm of rain in just a few hours on Sunday evening.
You may also want to watch:
Initial measurements show nearby Helions Bumpstead has already experienced 76mm of rain.
"There's torrential thunderstorms around yet again," Mr Keates said.
- 1 Two arrested after man assaulted in Ipswich
- 2 'Microshop' selling only American candy opens in Ipswich
- 3 Jailed in Suffolk: The criminals put behind bars this week
- 4 Criminals confess to nearly 400 offences thanks to specialist police unit
- 5 What are the best curry houses in Ipswich?
- 6 Ipswich tech firm warns of spyware scare on Apple devices
- 7 School in Ipswich takes 'decisive action' to make rapid improvements
- 8 Suffolk to miss worst of thunderstorms - but heavy downpours still expected
- 9 First look at full schedule for Sound City Ipswich music festival
- 10 Can you spot yourself in our Copdock Motorcycle Show gallery?
"Into the evening, from Norfolk to Bournemouth we are going to see some pretty lively showers.
"Torrential downpours, thunder and lightning and potentially some hailstones are settling in the south."
In neighbouring Essex, the county's police control room has already received more than 20 calls related to rain.