Health bosses launch debate on drink
WHAT are your views about booze?That is the question being asked of both drinkers and teetotallers in Suffolk today as health bosses launch the Big Drink Debate.
WHAT are your views about booze?
That is the question being asked of both drinkers and teetotallers in Suffolk today as health bosses launch the Big Drink Debate.
The NHS is urging people in the county to consider the issues around alcohol and complete an online survey.
The survey findings will shape new regional alcohol strategies, and could help influence future policy on drinks-related issues such as alcohol sales, licensing hours, alcohol advertising, and drinks promotions.
Dr Paul Cosford, regional director of public health, said: “Alcohol is an important issue and it affects everyone.
“We are encouraging as many people as possible, whether you drink regularly or not, to join in this debate so we can really understand what the people in the East of England think about alcohol to enable us to develop initiatives to reduce alcohol related harm that will have public recognition and support.
- 1 Ipswich Station closed as man arrested for possessing a firearm
- 2 Beautiful new bottomless brunches launch at Ipswich bar
- 3 'Lovely to be acknowledged' - Ipswich craft shop pleased with bounce back
- 4 Man arrested after Ipswich train station incident released
- 5 The early betting favourites to be the next Town boss
- 6 Items from Lidl and Sainsbury's recalled over health and safety concerns
- 7 Court to decide how much swindler should repay customers
- 8 North Stander: We've become a sacking club - and that makes me uneasy
- 9 Family's gratitude after Christmas samaritan's £50 act of kindness
- 10 Yellow weather warning in place as Storm Barra set to hit Suffolk
“The most recent figures estimate that there were 77,800 alcohol related hospital admissions in the East of England in 2006/07. That is an average of 213 a day.
“We will also tell the government what people in the East of England think about these issues so we can influence national thinking and policy."
To complete the survey visit www.BigDrinkDebate.org.
What do you think should be done to tackle alcohol abuse? Write to Your Letters, Evening Star, 30 Lower Brook Street, Ipswich IP4 1AN or e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org.