'Mortified' mum who was too big to fit in airplane seatbelt loses 8st
- Credit: Treacy Corbett
An Ipswich mum who says she was "mortified" after not being able to fit into the airplane seatbelt on a family holiday has dropped from a size 24 to a size 16.
Treacy Corbett, aged 57, was shocked to find she couldn't do up her seatbelt on a trip to Spain in 2019 and vowed to lose the weight.
The Ipswich mum, who is a volunteer for The Phoneix Project in Ipswich, said her size had yo-yoed throughout her life as she used food as a comfort.
She suffers from bipolar disorder and anxiety, so has turned to food through what she described as a "turbulent life".
When she joined Slimming World in January last year, Ms Corbett was determined to make a change, weighing more than 20st at the time.
"I snacked all the time and I was very lazy," she said.
"I wouldn't look in the mirror and I hated going clothes shopping, only wearing leggings and baggy clothes. I'm now wearing jeans again for the first time in over 20 years."
- 1 Supermarket switch opens door to new Ipswich Lidl
- 2 Former Ipswich teacher appears in court charged with historic sex offences
- 3 Well-known Felixstowe bookseller to retire and hand over to vinyl store
- 4 Work finally starts on the Ipswich Garden Suburb after decades of debate
- 5 Man accused of Ipswich stabbing refuses to leave cell to enter plea
- 6 No need to wait for booster invitation - clarification after Covid jab confusion
- 7 Major Ipswich road partially blocked after crash involving Audi and Mercedes
- 8 15-year-old boy to face trial over alleged Ipswich stabbing
- 9 Police want to trace man in connection with Waterfront sexual assault
- 10 'It's like we're in the stone age' - Homophobic abuse halts LGBT+ parties
Ms Corbett used to get out of breath easily and said she worried about the impact of her weight during Covid, as those who are obese are at a higher risk of having complications.
She joined Michelle Hood's Ipswich class and has managed to lose more than 8st through the Slimming World plan, dropping to a size 16 and weighing just over 12st.
Her BMI has gone from 43.2 to 26.3 and she has lost a total of 41.5 inches off her bust, waist and hips.
She said her confidence has grown and now she isn't bothered about eating slabs of cake or chocolate.
She said: "I eat lots of fruit and vegetables now, but nothing is banned. I can still have chocolate and takeaways as long as factor them into my sins."
The only exercise she does is regular 15-minute walks, which can be done in the garden or round the house.