Hedge arsonist strikes
A SERIES of suspected arson attacks on conifer hedges in north east Ipswich are today being investigated.Firefighters in the town were called to five fires in the space of an hour where trees, hedges, shrubs and a wheelie bin and fence were alight early this morning.
A SERIES of suspected arson attacks on conifer hedges in north east Ipswich are today being investigated.
Firefighters in the town were called to five fires in the space of an hour where trees, hedges, shrubs and a wheelie bin and fence were alight early this morning.
A spokesman for the Suffolk Fire Service today said the incidents, three of which involved conifer hedges, were being treated as possible arson attacks.
The fires were in Renfrew Road, Lindsey Road, Selkirk Road, Humber Doucy Lane and at the junction of Playford Road and Woodbridge Road - all within close walking distance of each other.
The first fire was at around 12.25am and involved 4metres of conifer hedge at Renfrew Road. Firefighters spent around ten minutes tackling the flames.
Shortly after firefighters had brought that blaze under control, they were called to another conifer hedge and tree fire at Lindsey Road. They were alerted at 12.35am and spent around another 10minutes tackling the blaze.
- 1 A14 closed in both directions near Ipswich after four-vehicle crash
- 2 Person dies in Ipswich house fire
- 3 'He was a really good man' - Neighbour's shock following Ipswich house fire
- 4 'Emotions are high' - McGreal on ugly scenes following Charlton loss
- 5 Ipswich drug dealer sentenced to two years in jail
- 6 Boris Johnson tells people to work from home as covid 'Plan B' confirmed
- 7 Former nightclub with flat conversion plan heads to auction
- 8 Mental health referral review after death of 'wonderful' 16-year-old boy
- 9 'I don't want families going through this' - Mum backs bridge campaign
- 10 New base for Ipswich bin collection, recycling and street cleaning teams
At 12.45am, there was a call to the junction of Playford Road and Woodbridge Road where gorse was alight.
At 1.05am a crew spent around 10minutes with a five metre conifer hedge fire at Selkirk Road, and at 1.25am they were called to a wheelie bin and fence blaze in Humber Doucy Lane.