Help Star to spread festive cheer
Your Star needs you!With carols already playing in the shops and twinkling lights in the streets, the festive season is just around the corner.
IPSWICH: Your Star needs you!
With carols already playing in the shops and twinkling lights in the streets, the festive season is just around the corner.
And now, The Evening Star is appealing to readers to suggest worthy causes as beneficiary of our Christmas Appeal 2009.
Thanks to generous donations from readers, the Star has raised more than �100,000 for good causes over the years.
You raised �20,000 for a cardiac ultrasound for Ipswich Hospital in 2006 and �18,000 to create a children's minor injuries unit at Felixstowe hospital in 2004.
Star the guide dog puppy won hearts in last year's A Star is Born campaign and prompted a fantastic response to raise �30,000 to smash a �10,000 target to pay for her training.
- 1 Ipswich bricklayer dragged wife out of car before kicking and punching her
- 2 'Despicable racism' condemned after letter in post
- 3 Ipswich man appears in court charged with child sex offences
- 4 Homeless man allegedly stabbed man who offered help
- 5 'It's what I know and love': Former lorry driver opens food truck on A12
- 6 80-year-old woman was stuck in a lift for 10 hours
- 7 Kesgrave family move home to cope with 'crippling' cost of living
- 8 Man who repeatedly hit partner jailed for 64 weeks
- 9 Matchday Recap: Two second-half goals inspire Town win
- 10 School in Ipswich 'proud' of good Ofsted report
But this year, we are asking you to come up with suggestions for causes that could use some seasonal cheer.
Whether it is a social club in need of some tender loving care or a challenged youngster who needs some help to achieve a life-long dream, we are waiting for your ideas.
Nigel Pickover, editor of the Evening Star, said: “This year we are speaking directly to readers to come up with ideas.
“We have our own campaign but we don't know if there is something amazing out there that needs our help.”
From The Evening Star carol service in St Mary's Church to charity raffles and collection boxes, loyal readers have made us proud every year with their fund-raising exploits.
Our Have a Heart Appeal topped �15,000 this week, which will go towards life-saving equipment at Heath Road Hospital, but this year it is up to you to tell us what your festive cause should be.
Mr Pickover said: “When you look around you see that life is local.
“Ipswich faces a lot of challenges and changes but it has got to keep its sense of community so let's see what readers have got to give us.”
The clock is ticking and readers have just two weeks to let us know their suggestions before the closing date on Tuesday, November 24.
If you know someone who could use some festive sparkle, get in touch with Jo Thewlis at the Evening Star on 01473 324840 or e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org