Heroin-addicted shoplifter spared jail after stealing steaks from Ipswich Marks and Spencer
- Credit: PA
A shoplifting heroin addict must pay Marks and Spencer nearly £100 in compensation after stealing steaks from its Ipswich town centre store.
Steven Harris, of no fixed address, admitted stealing eight packets of steak worth £96 from M&S in Tavern Street on May 13 when he appeared before Ipswich magistrates.
The 44-year-old was found to have shoplifted the meat after a security officer reviewed the shop’s CCTV. It showed Harris picking up eight packets and putting them in his bag, before leaving without paying.
Harris was identified from the CCTV images by a police officer. He was arrested on August 5.
The court was told Harris had used heroin for 14 years and stole from shops to feed his habit. Harris was said to be seeking help for his addiction.
You may also want to watch:
Magistrates sentenced Harris to six weeks’ imprisonment, suspended for 12 months, and must pay M&S £96 compensation.
- 1 Police want to trace man in connection with Waterfront sexual assault
- 2 Farmfoods set to move in as Aldi confirms closure of store on Ipswich estate
- 3 Man and woman arrested after Ipswich stabbing
- 4 Work finally starts on the Ipswich Garden Suburb after decades of debate
- 5 70-year-old woman arrested in connection with human trafficking offences
- 6 Pair who hid murderer are among trio jailed for running drug syndicate
- 7 Pictures show flooding along Suffolk coast
- 8 Life sentence for Hartshorne-Jones who shot wife dead at home
- 9 Could Ipswich Debenhams become hub for health and leisure?
- 10 Flooding expected near Ipswich Waterfront