Historic pool to make waves again
The historic Fore Street baths have undergone a major restoration as part of a multi-million pound project to regenerate Ipswich's swimming facilities.
IPSWICH: The historic Fore Street baths have undergone a major restoration as part of a multi-million pound project to regenerate Ipswich's swimming facilities.
The project to refurbish the 114-year-old pool, the second oldest in the country, begin on August 17 and involved re-roofing, guttering and a full internal and external revamp.
Steve Kemp, assistant operations manager of Fore Street Pool and Crown Pools, said: “The fabric of the building hasn't changed but the d�cor has.
“I'm really delighted with how the pool looks and I'm sure town swimmers will love it.”
Fore Street baths will reopen to the public on Monday.
Councillor Judy Terry, portfolio holder of culture and leisure at Ipswich Borough Council, said: “It was so very important to redevelop the town's pools.
- 1 Train services in Suffolk cancelled after horses escape onto tracks
- 2 'Quietly confident' - Felixstowe Indian restaurant goes alcohol-free
- 3 Man turned up naked on woman's doorstep after Euros Final
- 4 Man found dead as police and fire service called to Ipswich home
- 5 Mapped: Where parasite dangerous to dogs has been reported in Suffolk
- 6 Plans for flats in former Ipswich pub progress
- 7 Severe delays on A14 as lane blocked on Orwell Bridge
- 8 Busy Ipswich road reopens after small sinkhole is repaired
- 9 Car seized as driver tries to avoid parking fees at Stansted Airport
- 10 Why has my car been covered in dust?
“Fore Street pool has lasted for the past 100 years and we hope that it will last for a further 100 years.”
The regeneration of Crown Pools is set to begin in the New Year, with major development taking place within the reception area, changing rooms and showers. The pool will remain open during the refurbishment.
Tim Snook, operations manager for sport, said: “I think a lot of the facilities that Ipswich Borough Council operates are 25 to 30-years-old and they needed bringing up to standard. That's what's happening with the town's pools.
“Crown Pools and Fore Street Pool have the cleanest water in Suffolk and now the rest of the facilities match that.”
What do you think of Ipswich's sports facilities? Write to Your Letters, Evening Star, 30 Lower Brook Street, Ipswich, IP4 1AN, or e-mail email@example.com