Holbrook Academy expects to reopen tomorrow after 6ft by 6ft sinkhole traps car
- Credit: Archant
A message on Holbrook Academy’s website tonight said Anglian Water engineers will be working through the night to repair a burst water main which closed the school today.
Police were called at 6.10am to reports that a vehicle had gone into a “sinkhole of sorts” in Heathfield Road, Holbrook.
A Suffolk Constabulary spokeswoman said: “The road appeared to be crumbling away and water was all over the road.”
The car’s front wheel had become trapped in the hole, which was described as 4ft deep and approximately 6ft by 6ft.
The sinkhole is understood to have been caused by a burst water main. Anglian Water engineers have been on the scene carrying out repair work throughout the day.
A spokeswoman said they were tackling two burst water mains, one in Clench Road and the other in The Street, the latter of which has formed a hole in the road.
Tonight, a statement on Holbrook Academy’s website said: “Anglian Water will be working through the night to hopefully fix the water main.
- 1 A14 near Ipswich remains partially closed after fire breaks out
- 2 Mum-of-four organises uniform pop-up market
- 3 Man wanted in connection with Ipswich assault arrested
- 4 Fire breaks out in field near Westbourne Park in Ipswich
- 5 Car damaged after object thrown from bridge over A14 outside Ipswich
- 6 Drought declared in Suffolk as temperatures set to soar this weekend
- 7 Ipswich coffee shop owner receives award from PM
- 8 Police cordon in place outside former Grimwades store in Ipswich
- 9 'Tons' of water leaking from burst water main as people urged to avoid road
- 10 Ban on BBQs at Suffolk beauty spot due to extreme heat
“We anticipate the academy will be open on Friday March 24 but will confirm by text message early tomorrow morning. Please keep checking website for any updates.”
Police have closed Heathfield Road to traffic.
This morning, staff at the academy sent parents email and text messages informing them the school would be closed all day after taking the decision to shut at 6.30am.
Earlier, headteacher Dr Simon Letman said: “We’ve heard there are two problems, one on the entrance to Ipswich Road and the other close to our entrance.
“There is a burst water main next to the entrance and it has shut off the water supply to the school.
“Our toilets don’t work and we have no running water.
“We’re hoping the supply will get back up and running as soon as possible but we will let parents know as soon as that happens.
He added: “We won’t be opening for the rest of the day but hope to be open again tomorrow.
“We’ve been told the Peninsula Sports Centre has also closed to community members.”