Homeless man jailed for ramming victim’s head into brick wall
- Credit: SUFFOLK CONSTABULARY
A homeless man who “rammed” another man’s head into a brick wall during a mugging in Ipswich has been jailed for 44 months.
John Baxter had withdrawn £40 cash and was walking along Croft Street on October 1 with a friend when he was grabbed from behind by 32-year-old Shane Mabberley, Ipswich Crown Court heard.
Mabberley pulled Mr Baxter to the ground and started going through his pockets, said Matthew Sorel-Cameron, prosecuting.
Mr Baxter took the money out of his pocket and threw it on the ground and during the incident Mabberley rammed Mr Baxter’s head into a brick wall causing a cut to his forehead.
Mabberley, of no fixed address, admitted robbery, burglary and two offences of shoplifting.
The court heard that on September 20 Mabberley stole clothing worth £234 from TK Maxx in Ipswich and several hours later he snatched beer worth £12 from the Co-op store in Bramford Lane, Ipswich.
In the early hours of the next morning he broke into to a charity shop in Bramford Lane and stole cash from a charity box.
- 1 Ipswich residents' frustration over parking chaos
- 2 Firefighters called to Ipswich house fire
- 3 Baby and toddler retailer Mamas & Papas set for Ipswich return
- 4 Long delays on A14 near Ipswich after police called to hole in the road
- 5 Man detained after early morning incident in Ipswich road
- 6 'Severe' delays on A12 outside Ipswich after crash closes road
- 7 Boy, 14, arrested after serious sex attack in Suffolk town is released
- 8 Man who stole over £1,000 in power tools jailed for 876 days
- 9 Tree works to begin after residents left 'fed up' for two years
- 10 Suffolk's top 10 fish and chip shops as voted by our readers - now pick a winner
Paul Donegan for Mabberley said his client had been homeless and short of cash.