Homeless man stole perfume worth £279 from TK Maxx in Buttermarket, Ipswich two days before Christmas
- Credit: Archant
A man is spending Christmas behind bars after stealing perfume worth £279 from TK Maxx in Ipswich town centre.
Noel Clarke, 46, of no fixed abode, put the bottles of perfume in a holdall which he also tried to steal from the Buttermarket store at around 4.30pm on Friday, Ipswich magistrates’ court heard.
He was caught moments after leaving TK Maxx and was arrested at the scene.
All of the items were recovered. The total cost of the stolen perfume was £279.92.
At a police station, he refused to be interviewed. Cocaine was also found in his system, magistrates were told.
The court was also told that he had been released from prison last month, on November 5.
Clarke pleaded guilty to the theft.
- 1 Man found dead as police and fire service called to Ipswich home
- 2 Train services in Suffolk cancelled after horses escape onto tracks
- 3 'Quietly confident' - Felixstowe Indian restaurant goes alcohol-free
- 4 Man turned up naked on woman's doorstep after Euros Final
- 5 How it all unfolded in first-ever Super Heat at Foxhall
- 6 Plans for flats in former Ipswich pub progress
- 7 Mapped: Where parasite dangerous to dogs has been reported in Suffolk
- 8 Emergency road closure near Ipswich Hospital due to 'defect' in carriageway
- 9 Busy Ipswich road reopens after small sinkhole is repaired
- 10 Drivers urged to remove valuables from cars after nine thefts in a week
In mitigation, the court was told that he has no money and is “struggling to manage”.
Clarke was recalled to custody.