Homes bid delayed due to objections

Final decisions on proposals for 1,400-plus new homes in the Felixstowe area have been delayed following a huge number of objections.

FELIXSTOWE: Final decisions on proposals for 1,400-plus new homes in the Felixstowe area have been delayed following a huge number of objections.

It had been intended to hold a meeting to decide the plans for “substantial growth” in December, but this will now not take place until February 10.

The proposals for Felixstowe and the Trimley villages, and also for 2,000 homes at Martlesham Heath, generated more than 1,100 comments - with only 38 supporting the plans.

Suffolk Coastal said planners needed more time to assess the objections and had cancelled its special cabinet and full council meetings on the core strategy for the district as a result.

The council was still on course to adopt the new strategy as its policy early next year and needed to do this to avoid speculative housing proposals from developers.

The council said the strategy would be discussed in the interim at a scrutiny meeting on January 21.

Most Read

Ian Cowan, of protest group Save Trimley Against Growth, said: “To me, the reason for postponement does not ring true, because I am pretty sure there were many more responses at previous consultations - and in the past they did not postpone meetings in order to fully assess responses.

“In the past, they tried to hurry things through with undue haste.

“I think the truth is that the powers that be - or at least some of them - have taken fright because there have been some very powerful consultation responses.”

As well as objecting to the number of homes, many consultees - including Felixstowe Town Council - asked for homes to be distributed “fairly and evenly” across the Suffolk Coastal area to protect smaller communities.

Does the Felixstowe area need more homes? Write to Your Letters, Evening Star, 30 Lower Brook Street, Ipswich, IP4 1AN, or e-mail eveningstarletters@eveningstar.co.uk