Hopes high for a new tenant for the BHS in Ipswich Butter Market
- Credit: Archant
With BHS set to close across the country by the end of August, retail bosses and politicians are now looking for an alternative use for the large store in Ipswich’s Butter Market Street.
The store opened about 20 years ago after a small shopping mall originally built as an annex to the Buttermarket shopping centre was converted.
It is now completely independent from the Buttermarket Centre which is being converted into a leisure-based development.
However as a modern store, and one which could be split into three smaller units, there are hopes that it should not be closed for long.
Ipswich MP Ben Gummer said: “The closure of the BHS in the Butter Market is a real tragedy for the people working there, some have been there for many years and have been paying into the pension fund for years.
You may also want to watch:
“Hopefully another retailer will be found to move into that site – but things are very worrying for the existing staff as the store is set to close over the next few weeks.”
He had heard there had already been interest in the store and felt that its location should prove to be very attractive for retailers – the BHS conservatory cafe at the side of Arras Square could also become an independent coffee shop/bar.
- 1 Farmfoods set to move in as Aldi confirms closure of store on Ipswich estate
- 2 Police want to trace man in connection with Waterfront sexual assault
- 3 Man pulled into car before being beaten and robbed in Ipswich
- 4 Man and woman arrested after Ipswich stabbing
- 5 Pair who hid murderer are among trio jailed for running drug syndicate
- 6 70-year-old woman arrested in connection with human trafficking offences
- 7 Suffolk coast flood alert issued including Felixstowe and Ipswich
- 8 Pictures show flooding along Suffolk coast
- 9 Is a new tenant lined up to move into Ancient House in Ipswich?
- 10 Could Ipswich Debenhams become hub for health and leisure?
Ipswich Central chairman Terry Baxter was also hopeful a new use would soon be found for the store: “We do hear that there is a need for modern stores in the town centre and this is very modern with easy access. I don’t think it will be too difficult to find a new tenant.”