Hospital boss goes live for Christmas Day radio show
- Credit: Archant
The chief executive of Ipswich Hospital will be swapping his usual desk for a studio mixer as he takes over the airwaves for a special Christmas Day broadcast.
Nick Hulme will be delaying Christmas morning at home to present an hour-long programme of music and conversation on hospital radio.
The station broadcasts round-the-clock to patients, with about 40 hours each week dedicated to live programming, and a flagship request show going out in the evening.
Until about five years ago, the service went off the air for Christmas Day – but with some patients unable to make it home, volunteers decided to keep the studio open.
Tim Ward, hospital radio chairmen, said: “Last year we invited the chief executive to come on the programme.
“This time we’ve gone a step further and given him the chance to host a programme.
“It’s a way of giving the hospital some good publicity. He’s someone people might not expect to be at work on Christmas Day - but he is.
- 1 Man suffers fractured eye socket after attack outside Ipswich bus station
- 2 Suffolk rail services affected after person hit by a train
- 3 Woman who stole £24k from school and football club to face sentence
- 4 Unclaimed £83k winning EuroMillions lottery ticket was bought in Suffolk
- 5 Police concerned for welfare of missing Suffolk man last seen two weeks ago
- 6 OPINION: Free sporting activities for children return to Ipswich this summer
- 7 Jailed in Suffolk: The criminals locked up so far in 2022
- 8 Plans for 440 homes and visitor centre in Ipswich Garden Suburb submitted
- 9 Ipswich climber's death was a 'tragic and unexpected accident'
- 10 Plans to convert town centre office to five flats
“As a charity, we are dependent on the hospital trust for support, so we work very closely together.”
There are no clues as to what songs will shape Mr Hulme’s playlist for his Christmas Day broadcast but it is hoped that Ipswich MP Ben Gummer will appear as a guest.
The show is due to be broadcast on hospital radio from 9am-10am.