Hospital's quest for helpers
HELP make a difference to patients at Ipswich Hospital.Volunteers are being sought to help out some patients at meal times who have difficulty eating.
HELP make a difference to patients at Ipswich Hospital.
Volunteers are being sought to help out some patients at meal times who have difficulty eating.
The NHS Trust is pioneering a Nutrition Support campaign and are looking for people who can spend a couple of hours each week helping out others.
Volunteers will be given training, advice and support by the Nutrition Support Nurse Specialist at the hospital.
There are already more than 400 volunteers helping out at the hospital.
This new campaign is being launched to try and make an even bigger difference to the many people in hospital for whom eating is a problem. Around 10% of patients in hospital at any time do have difficulties with eating.
- 1 Crash involving ambulance closes Ipswich road
- 2 Richest people in East Anglia revealed on Sunday Times Rich List
- 3 Suffolk fish and chip van to feature on Escape to the Country
- 4 Parking woes for shop parade hit by 'continous roadworks'
- 5 'You have broken us!' - New cafe at Suffolk beauty spot on huge demand
- 6 Driver taken to hospital after car crashes into parked vehicle
- 7 Police carry out 'pre-planned' operation in Felixstowe road
- 8 Ipswich salon to offer free gent's haircut at Suffolk Show
- 9 List of 18 rejected proposals to save Felixstowe beach huts revealed
- 10 Fuel spillage causes delays on busy Ipswich road after truck breaks down
Ann Woolnough, voluntary services co-ordinator said: "There are many different reasons why people in hospital sometimes find it difficult to eat, ranging from not being able to use their arms or hands, to having no appetite and losing interest in food.
"With company at meal times, and encouragement, care and support, we've found that people do respond much better."
Anyone who has a couple of hours to spare each week, ideally from 11.45am until 1.45pm or from 4.45pm until 6.45pm, can go along to an informal information meeting about the new initiative.
This is being held on Wednesday 1 October 2003 at 12.30pm in the Hayward Seminar Room, Hayward Unit, Ipswich Hospital.
More details about volunteering at The Ipswich Hospital are available from Ann Woolnough and anyone planning to come to the meeting is should ring her on 01473 704110.