Hospital's quest for helpers
HELP make a difference to patients at Ipswich Hospital.Volunteers are being sought to help out some patients at meal times who have difficulty eating.
HELP make a difference to patients at Ipswich Hospital.
Volunteers are being sought to help out some patients at meal times who have difficulty eating.
The NHS Trust is pioneering a Nutrition Support campaign and are looking for people who can spend a couple of hours each week helping out others.
Volunteers will be given training, advice and support by the Nutrition Support Nurse Specialist at the hospital.
You may also want to watch:
There are already more than 400 volunteers helping out at the hospital.
This new campaign is being launched to try and make an even bigger difference to the many people in hospital for whom eating is a problem. Around 10% of patients in hospital at any time do have difficulties with eating.
- 1 Ipswich mum 'eating junk food and take-aways' goes from size 22 to 12
- 2 'Extra-cautionary' Covid measures reintroduced at Kesgrave High
- 3 'The village already can't cope' - Concerns over 114-home plan
- 4 Jailed company boss to sell home to repay swindled customers
- 5 NHS confirms new Ipswich 'super-surgery' should open in 2024
- 6 Town centre delays following accident
- 7 Fears Ipswich's best-known landmarks are at risk
- 8 Rail services disrupted for 4 hours as line blocked near Ipswich
- 9 Kesgrave shooting: Teen who tried to kill friend set to be sentenced
- 10 New barber's shop opens on Ipswich shopping parade
Ann Woolnough, voluntary services co-ordinator said: "There are many different reasons why people in hospital sometimes find it difficult to eat, ranging from not being able to use their arms or hands, to having no appetite and losing interest in food.
"With company at meal times, and encouragement, care and support, we've found that people do respond much better."
Anyone who has a couple of hours to spare each week, ideally from 11.45am until 1.45pm or from 4.45pm until 6.45pm, can go along to an informal information meeting about the new initiative.
This is being held on Wednesday 1 October 2003 at 12.30pm in the Hayward Seminar Room, Hayward Unit, Ipswich Hospital.
More details about volunteering at The Ipswich Hospital are available from Ann Woolnough and anyone planning to come to the meeting is should ring her on 01473 704110.