Huge fire threatens leisure centre
TEAMS of firefighters from throughout Suffolk are currently fighting a huge blaze that has engulfed Bury St Edmunds Leisure Centre.The fire started in the roof of the building at 4.
TEAMS of firefighters from throughout Suffolk are currently fighting a huge blaze that has engulfed Bury St Edmunds Leisure Centre.
The fire started in the roof of the building at 4.40pm and has spread through the pump room and has continued through the rest of the roof.
Ten crews are currently battling the blaze, which has become so intense that all firefighters have been evacuated from the building.
Roads surrounding the Beetons Way centre have been closed and crews are using ten pumps and two turntable ladders to fight the fire.
You may also want to watch:
The centre has been plagued by fire and had to be rebuilt after it was destroyed during an arson attack in the 1970s. Another blaze was started by an arsonist in June 2001.
Full story in tomorrow's Evening Star.
- 1 Tributes paid to inspirational Ipswich teenager Harrison Boyd, 13
- 2 Four men arrested after man dies at Felixstowe lorry park
- 3 Woman sexually assaulted near Ipswich Waterfront
- 4 Three fire engines called to Ipswich flat fire
- 5 Man jailed after safe stolen from Spread Eagle pub
- 6 Superhero send off planned for 'charismatic and cheeky' Alexander, 15
- 7 Members of 'notorious' Ipswich gang jailed for 19 years
- 8 The places with the highest and lowest levels of Covid in Suffolk
- 9 Jailed in Suffolk: J Block gang members and man who attacked train station staff
- 10 Updated: Bury Road reopened after two car collision near BMW garage