Hundred abseil off multi-storey hospital
HEARTS beating fast with fear and anticipation, more than 800 people climbed to the top of Ipswich Hospital's maternity block- and abseiled off.The crowds took part in the annual sponsored abseil to raise money for a host of various charities.
By Tracey Sparling
HEARTS beating fast with fear and anticipation, more than 800 people climbed to the top of Ipswich Hospital's maternity block – and abseiled off.
The crowds took part in the annual sponsored abseil to raise money for a host of various charities.
The event, on Saturday and yesterday, saw Sainsbury's staff participating to raise cash for the Evening Star's £100,000 fund for young heroine, Terri Calvesbert, who was burned as a baby in a house fire.
You may also want to watch:
Ipswich girl Kirsty Vale, as featured in the Evening Star, left behind her wheelchair to help Terri too.
More than 60 people turned up to support the Cancer Campaign in Suffolk, by taking part in the nerve-wracking abseil.
- 1 First look at golf club's multi-million pound coastal homes development
- 2 ‘Unique’ farm in coveted river setting hits market for first time in 60 years
- 3 Caravans pitched at Portman Road car park
- 4 Felixstowe beach hut goes on sale for record price
- 5 Luke Chambers: 'To be brutally honest, I didn't think I would be leaving the club this summer'
- 6 'Mass of smoke' billows from roof in house fire
- 7 Boss who boasted of lavish lifestyle is bankrupt with £100k debts
- 8 Lounge bar with bespoke cocktails and tapas to open at Ipswich waterfront
- 9 Kesgrave shooting: Trial set to start as boy, 16, denies attempted murder
- 10 A14 delays as police deal with incident near Orwell Bridge
The charity has raised more than £30,000 from the event during the past four years and hoped to collect a further £5,000 this time.
Among those taking part in this year's abseil was an 87-year-old great-grandfather.
Gina Cooper, secretary for Cancer Campaign in Suffolk, said: "People come from all walks of life. It's quite a challenge and I am full of admiration of the people who do it. A lot of people are very nervous when they get to the top, but they all manage to come down."