Hundreds of Santas in run for hospice
SCORES of Santas have today raised sled loads of cash for charity in a sponsored run in an Ipswich park.More than 200 people donned Santa's famous red robes and displayed some festive spirit to raise money for The East Anglia's Children's Hospices by completing a two kilometre course.
SCORES of Santas have today raised sled loads of cash for charity in a sponsored run in an Ipswich park.
More than 200 people donned Santa's famous red robes and displayed some festive spirit to raise money for The East Anglia's Children's Hospices by completing a two kilometre course.
The event, held today at Christchurch Park, is believed to have raised between £5,000 and £10,000 for the charity.
It is the first time it has been held in Ipswich.
Organiser Simon Hempsall said: “It has been a great day for it and this has been fantastic for raising awareness.”
Participant Wendy Dye, 43, of Fornham All Saints, was one of four people who work for Ipswich Town Football Club taking part in the event.
- 1 Paul Cook sacked by Ipswich Town
- 2 Former BBC DJ to go live with new station
- 3 The possible candidates as Ipswich Town search for new boss
- 4 Delays likely on major Ipswich road as 12 days of roadworks planned
- 5 Harsh or fair? Here's what Town fans are saying about Paul Cook sacking
- 6 Things you should know before visiting Spoon World Buffet and Bar
- 7 Cycle wands being removed from Ipswich roads
- 8 Two people reported rough sleeping every day in Ipswich last month
- 9 Matchday Recap: A replay awaits as Town fail to beat Barrow
- 10 Jailed in Suffolk: The criminals put behind bars this week
She said: “The players visit the hospices and it is nice to do our bit to raise money for them.
“It is a fun event and you raise money for a good cause at the same time.”
Jenny Knight, 67, of Ipswich, said: “I thought it was absolutely excellent and very well organised.
“It was great fun taking part.”
n. Are you raising money for charity in a festive fashion? Write to Your Letters, Evening Star, 30 Lower Brook Street, Ipswich, IP4 1AN or e-mail email@example.com
n. See this website tomorrow to see video of the run and plenty more pictures.