Hundreds of superheroes take to Chantry Park to celebrate third anniversary of Ipswich parkrun
- Credit: Su Anderson
Superheroes and cartoon characters took to an Ipswich park this weekend to celebrate the third anniversary of an ever-growing sporting event.
Despite the rain, 242 runners, many who dressed as the likes of Wonder Woman, Snow White and Superman, took to Chantry Park on Saturday morning to celebrate the third anniversary of Ipswich parkrun.
It was also Rory Marriott’s last morning as the event director of the Ipswich 5k parkrun.
Mr Marriott, who is still the event director of the junior parkrun in the town, said: “It was fantastic, despite the rain.
“We had runners of all ages, from about five years old up to 83.
“When we started it the whole parkrun concept was new to the region. We were the first ones in Suffolk and since then it’s been a case of we don’t do any advertising, it’s all stuck by word of mouth.
“If your friends says you should try something you normally will.
- 1 Train services in Suffolk cancelled after horses escape onto tracks
- 2 'Quietly confident' - Felixstowe Indian restaurant goes alcohol-free
- 3 Man turned up naked on woman's doorstep after Euros Final
- 4 Man found dead as police and fire service called to Ipswich home
- 5 Mapped: Where parasite dangerous to dogs has been reported in Suffolk
- 6 Plans for flats in former Ipswich pub progress
- 7 Severe delays on A14 as lane blocked on Orwell Bridge
- 8 Busy Ipswich road reopens after small sinkhole is repaired
- 9 Car seized as driver tries to avoid parking fees at Stansted Airport
- 10 Why has my car been covered in dust?
“They try one and they start to get the bug.
“It doesn’t matter what speed you are going and you’re almost guaranteed a warm friendly reception.”
Mr Marriott that he thought the appeal of parkrun was that because it was not a race people are only in a competition against themselves.
He added that in the three years, more than 4,000 individuals have run at least on Ipswich parkrun event.
Colin Shaw and Ali Ostler will become co-event directors of the weekly run.
Mr Marriott said: “I know that because they have been part of the core team they are going to be fantastic for the event as it continues to grow and I know that I’m stepping away as event director knowing it is in absolutely safe hands and they are going to put it in a new direction.
“But it’s still going to be a weekly 5k run.”