I'm lucky to see this, says Robbo
SUFFOLK today honours one of the nation's sporting greats.With dignity and decency, Sir Bobby Robson done so much for the county and his country, during a phenomenal career spanning the best of football.
SUFFOLK today honours one of the nation's sporting greats.
With dignity and decency, Sir Bobby Robson done so much for the county and his country, during a phenomenal career spanning the best of football.
The hero who kicked off his tireless climb to the top by running the show at Portman Road, has now become the game's most respected elder statesman.
His talent, good humour and warmth has led him to being regarded as one of the nation's biggest success stories - an international ambassador, as well as a favourite grandfather.
You may also want to watch:
Yet he remains very much with his feet firmly on the ground, keeping a home in Ipswich and supporting local causes.
The warmth the town of Ipswich shows today, by unveiling a statue of him, leaves him feeling humbled.
- 1 Man caught in Ipswich park paedophile sting jailed for more than two years
- 2 Should buses be kept out of Ipswich's Upper Brook Street?
- 3 Ipswich teenage boy arrested over stabbing
- 4 Family 'devastated' after elderly man's Reliant Robin tipped over
- 5 Ipswich lorry drivers raise a glass as haulage firm launches in-house watering hole
- 6 Couple avoid jail for campaign of harassment against neighbour
- 7 Five of the best places to cure your hangover in Ipswich
- 8 Farmland 'years away' from development, says builder
- 9 Woman accused of fraudulently giving £75k to son while bankrupt
- 10 Man taken to hospital after becoming stuck in mud in Ipswich riverbank
"You know the most wonderful thing about this?" said Sir Bobby. "That I'm still alive to see it."
The new statue will stand proudly near Ipswich and England's other big name Sir Alf Ramsey, whose statue also reigns over Portman Road.
See tonight's Evening Star for full story…