I'm lucky to see this, says Robbo
SUFFOLK today honours one of the nation's sporting greats.With dignity and decency, Sir Bobby Robson done so much for the county and his country, during a phenomenal career spanning the best of football.
SUFFOLK today honours one of the nation's sporting greats.
With dignity and decency, Sir Bobby Robson done so much for the county and his country, during a phenomenal career spanning the best of football.
The hero who kicked off his tireless climb to the top by running the show at Portman Road, has now become the game's most respected elder statesman.
His talent, good humour and warmth has led him to being regarded as one of the nation's biggest success stories - an international ambassador, as well as a favourite grandfather.
You may also want to watch:
Yet he remains very much with his feet firmly on the ground, keeping a home in Ipswich and supporting local causes.
The warmth the town of Ipswich shows today, by unveiling a statue of him, leaves him feeling humbled.
- 1 'Beautiful inside and out': Tragedy as mum dies 48 hours after giving birth
- 2 More than £23k raised in memory of mum who died 2 days after giving birth
- 3 Woman threatened to expose lorry driver's sexual relationship
- 4 Developers offer first view of 75 new homes near Ipswich
- 5 New walking trail explores 'key role' Suffolk played in Anglo-Saxon history
- 6 What happened to Luke Durbin? Mum's renewed appeal 15 years after teenager vanished in Ipswich
- 7 'Teaching means the world' - school in Ipswich unveils new deputy head
- 8 Thieves use bank cards after stealing rucksack from Ipswich doorstep
- 9 Ipswich paedophile jailed for downloading indecent images of boys
- 10 Ipswich Town reveal full retained list as six first-teamers get extended stays and eight depart
"You know the most wonderful thing about this?" said Sir Bobby. "That I'm still alive to see it."
The new statue will stand proudly near Ipswich and England's other big name Sir Alf Ramsey, whose statue also reigns over Portman Road.
See tonight's Evening Star for full story…