Indecent assault in town centre
THREE women are today distressed after one was indecently assaulted in Ipswich town centre.Police are appealing for information after the woman was attacked as she walked home with her two friends in Ipswich.
THREE women are today distressed after one was indecently assaulted in Ipswich town centre.
Police are appealing for information after the woman was attacked as she walked home with her two friends in Ipswich.
The trio, all in their early 20s, were walking along an alleyway between Christchurch Street and Blanche Street after a night out in town on Sunday.
It was between 1.15am and 1.25am as they headed toward Blanche Street when a man approached the friends from behind and indecently assaulted one of the group.
Investigating officer Pc Andrew Wright said: "This was completely unprovoked and the assault has left the girls extremely distressed.
"We would appeal for anyone who witnessed the attack or may recognise the description of the attacker to contact us."
- 1 Ipswich man jailed for 25 years after teen left paralysed in shooting
- 2 Kesgrave family move home to cope with 'crippling' cost of living
- 3 Armed police arrest two 16-year-olds on suspicion of firearms offences
- 4 'Depraved' Felixstowe man jailed for child sex offences
- 5 Devastated family wrongly told prisoner hanged himself weeks before release
- 6 10,000 listeners tune in to new Suffolk radio station
- 7 'It's very frustrating': Anger as £150 stolen from charity shop in Felixstowe
- 8 Ipswich cannabis dealer avoids immediate jail sentence
- 9 Delays on A14 after two-vehicle crash
- 10 Weather warning in place for Suffolk as temperatures plunge below freezing
The man is described as white, in his early 20s, about 5ft 6ins tall, of medium build with short, dark curly hair. He was wearing a blue sweatshirt, baggy casual trousers and a hooped earring in his right ear.
He also had what appeared to be a dark mark or mud under his right eye.
News of the indecent assault comes just over a year since a 92-year-old woman was brutally raped in nearby Cobbold Street.
The man, who dragged her off the street into a secluded car park and viciously attacked her as she made her way home from a shopping trip, remains free.
Police have followed up 2,800 lines of inquiry over the past twelve months but have yet to find the rapist.
And earlier this year residents living in the same area near to the town centre were left reeling again after allegations of a double rape in the grounds of St Margarets Church.
On this occasion the claims of the women, who said she had been attacked by two men, were proved false and investigations taken no further.
Anyone who may have been in the Christchurch Street/Blanche Street area at the time of the incident, recognise the description of the offender or seen someone acting suspiciously is asked to contact Pc Wright at Ipswich Police on 01473 613500 or Crimestoppers on 0800 555 111.