Inferno engulfs tonnes of hay
AN inferno which engulfed a barn containing hundreds of tonnes of bailed hay was tackled by firefighters today.
AN inferno which engulfed a barn containing hundreds of tonnes of bailed hay was tackled by firefighters overnight.
The blaze, at a farm in Burrough Green near Newmarket on the Suffolk/Cambridgeshire border, tore through the 55m by 30m building.
Five fire crews fought the flames, preventing them from spreading to neighbouring buildings and farm machinery, finally bringing the flames under control at around 7.15am today .
Warnings have been made to residents in the area that a number of bullocks escaped as a result of the incident.
You may also want to watch:
A fire service spokesman said the fire is not being treated as suspicious, although the cause is as yet unknown. An investigation into the cause will be launched today.
- 1 Brunch trip leaves friend group 'anxious' after spiking fears
- 2 Jailed in Suffolk: The criminals put behind bars this week
- 3 Matchday Recap: Celina wins it for Town and sends Portman Road wild
- 4 Crime map shows locations of weapons offences in Ipswich
- 5 Former Ipswich teacher appears in court charged with historic sex offences
- 6 Supermarket switch opens door to new Ipswich Lidl
- 7 First look inside Ipswich's new Geek Retreat games cafe
- 8 Man caused £26k worth of damage after setting fire to van and car
- 9 Well-known Felixstowe bookseller to retire and hand over to vinyl store
- 10 'It's like we're in the stone age' - Homophobic abuse halts LGBT+ parties