Inquiry into baby abduction prisoner

PROBATION officers supervising an armed robber who attempted to kidnap a Suffolk baby today said they will be looking into the circumstances of his case.

PROBATION officers supervising an armed robber who attempted to kidnap a Suffolk baby today said they will be looking into the circumstances of his case.

As reported in yesterday's Evening Star, Bryan Lockwood, 32, is currently awaiting sentence after he admitted trying to kidnap a baby at a Stowmarket home.

Lockwood, of Borehamwood, Hertfordshire was serving a six-year prison sentence for armed robbery at the time but had been released early on licence and was under the supervision of the probation service.

He was returned to prison on the day of the offence after breaching the terms of his licence - although this was unrelated to the abduction attempt.

Today Steve Collett, chief officer for Hertfordshire Probation Service, said officers would be reviewing the case.

He said: “I can confirm he (Lockwood) was under the supervision of us and we had taken recall action (to return him to prison) at the time this offence was committed for unrelated reasons.

Most Read

“Although this offence happened on November 8, 2005 no one (in Hertfordshire Probation Service) knew of its existence until the end of April 2006 when Lockwood was arrested (by Suffolk police).

“We will review the case and look at how we managed the supervision of the individual.”

Mr Collett said he would comment further on the case once Lockwood had been sentenced - that is due to happen at Ipswich Crown Court on October 20.

Become a Supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years. Our industry faces testing times, which is why we're asking for your support. Every contribution will help us continue to produce local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Become a Supporter