Investigation into A14 four car smash
POLICE were today appealing for witnesses after a four-vehicle crash on the A14 near Felixstowe.The accident happened between the Trimley interchange and dock spur roundabout after a collision between a car joining from the end of the Kirton sliproad and a car on the dual carriageway.
POLICE were today appealing for witnesses after a four-vehicle crash on the A14 near Felixstowe.
The accident happened between the Trimley interchange and dock spur roundabout after a collision between a car joining from the end of the Kirton sliproad and a car on the dual carriageway.
Police said a third car then smashed into one of these two, and a fourth is understood to have skidded into a crash barrier.
One driver suffered back and side pains. He was conscious and breathing and taken to Ipswich Hospital by an ambulance crew.
Police said it was understood the injuries were not serious.
It is the latest in a long line of accidents over the years on the busy stretch of road with cars not always able to pull into the outside lane quickly enough to allow vehicles on the slip road to join the A14 comfortably because of lorries turning right to go to the port.
- 1 Travellers pitch up at park in Ipswich
- 2 Jailed in Suffolk: The criminals put behind bars this week
- 3 Driver blamed Amazon training for 13 speeding offences in Suffolk
- 4 Police launch appeal to identify man after incident in Ipswich
- 5 Animal sex charges against Kesgrave vet dropped, but child images admitted
- 6 Teenage moped driver arrested in Ipswich after failing drug test
- 7 Ipswich Music Day 2022: All you need to know
- 8 Jail for Ipswich man who stole £2,000 worth of goods from Suffolk stores
- 9 Food review, La Cueva, Ipswich: 'Delicious food... and sparkly cocktails!'
- 10 Woman jailed for having sex with Ipswich schoolboy
A police spokeswoman said the accident - which happened at 6.40pm last night - involved a blue Ford Sierra, green Ford Escort and a silver Suzuki Liana.
Break-down trucks were needed to take away all three vehicles and part of the slip road and one lane of the A14 was closed until 8.50pm when the cars were removed and all debris cleared.
Fire crews were called to deal with one vehicles leaking petrol. They made the road safe.
The fourth vehicle involved in the crash - said to be a Landrover-style car, which hit the crash barrier - did not stop at the scene.
Police have appealed for anyone who saw the crash or has details of this vehicle to contact them on 01473 613500.
Did you see the accident? Is this stretch of road dangerous? Write to Your Letters, Evening Star, 30 Lower Brook Street, Ipswich, IP4 1AN, or e-mail EveningStarLetters@eveningstar.co.uk