Ipswich: Beautician Naomi Carter sentenced for pulling out victim’s hair in catfight
- Credit: Archant
A beautician who pulled out a clump of a woman’s hair during a fight on a coach has been ordered to do 300 hours unpaid work in the community.
Naomi Carter, 29, of Cardigan Street admitted causing Sophia England actual bodily harm during a 21st birthday trip to London last year and in addition to unpaid work she was ordered to pay £300 compensation to Miss England.
Sentencing Naomi Carter at Ipswich Crown Court, Judge David Goodin said she had caused “significant harm out of spite, drunkeness and sheer stupidity.”
“When drink goes in judgement goes out,” said the judge.
Naomi Carter’s sister Kimberley Carter, 25, of Cedars Lane, Capel St Mary, was also charged with assault arising out of the same incident but was cleared by a jury after a trial last month.
You may also want to watch:
The court heard that Miss England and the Carter sisters were part of a group of around 15 women who had booked to go to a West End nightclub on a small coach for a 21st birthday celebration.
When the women arrived at the nightclub there was a queue to get in and there was some squabbling in the group as people began pushing to get in.
- 1 Brunch trip leaves friend group 'anxious' after spiking fears
- 2 Ambulance service apologises after woman left lying on Cornhill for 2 hours
- 3 How Ipswich are you? Take our quiz to find out
- 4 Crime map shows locations of weapons offences in Ipswich
- 5 Business units set to be converted into new seafront flats
- 6 Trial set for man who robbed mum of her handbag
- 7 Holly holding onto new hope in eating disorder recovery process
- 8 'Kind and gentle' retired Ipswich Hospital orthopaedic consultant dies
- 9 Jailed in Suffolk: The criminals put behind bars this week
- 10 Andy's Angles: Six observations after Ipswich Town's 2-1 win over Fleetwood
The party ended up not being able to get into the club despite paying around £40 for the night out and went to another nightspot instead..
During the return journey to Ipswich there was an argument between Naomi Carter and Miss England during which a clump of Miss England’s hair was pulled out leaving her with a bald patch.
Hugh Vass for Naomi Carter said the incident was out of character and his client had never been near a court before.
“She is genuinely shocked and ashamed of what she has done. It was some form of cat fight,” he said.
He accepted that Carter had pulled the woman’s hair too hard and that the consequences had been unpleasant for the victim.