Ipswich: Biggest ever number of entrants set to take part in the Larking Gowen Ipswich Half Marathon
With the Larking Gowen Ipswich Half Marathon now just days away, organisers say they are looking forward to a record breaking year with their highest ever number of entrants.
The race, which is jointly organised by the Ipswich Jaffa Running Club and Ipswich Borough Council, will take place on Sunday when runners will start the 13.1 mile challenge from 9am at the Northgate Sports Centre.
The race’s organisers have said there are expected to be around 1,500 participants this year – the biggest number of participants in its history.
Terry Back, race director from Jaffa Running Club, said: “Jaffa are absolutely delighted with the amount of entries received this year and are looking forward to the day being a great success.”
The race will begin and end at the Northgate Sports Centre and residents can gather to watch the runners at various parts of the course including in the town centre and Christchurch Park.
The chosen charities for the race this year are St Elizabeth Hospice and Team Ipswich Sports Foundation. Staff at the hospice said they are keen to see as many people as possible turning out to watch the event.
Sara White, corporate fundraiser at St Elizabeth Hospice, said: “We wish all those taking part the best of luck and hope as many people as possible will come down and watch the race and cheer the runners on.
- 1 Take a look inside 15th Century farmhouse near Ipswich up for sale
- 2 Jailed in Suffolk: The county's criminals locked up in the last week
- 3 Missing 13-year-old boy from Hadleigh found safe
- 4 BrewDog, The Botanist and other reasons to be positive about Ipswich town centre
- 5 Empty Ipswich office block could become new flats
- 6 Tattingstone 'suitcase murder': 'Never too late' say police on 55th anniversary
- 7 Take a look inside new Ipswich restaurant that makes pizza the 'proper way'
- 8 Interactive map reveals the Suffolk postcodes with the highest Covid rates
- 9 Is Ipswich really England's oldest town? Experts give their view
- 10 Two Magpies Bakery set to open in Woodbridge after rapid revamp of store
“It is going to be a big event for the town and we are excited to be a part of it.
“All sponsorship raised for St Elizabeth Hospice will help us to provide care for patients and support for their families, friends and carers. We are grateful to everyone who has chosen to support us.”
A 4K family fun run will start shortly after the half marathon at 9.15am.
A prize giving will be taking place in the Northgate Sports Centre’s central arena at 11am.
See tomorrow’s Evening Star for more build-up to the big race. Then to see in depth coverage of the half marathon pick up a copy of Monday’s Evening Star where there will be a results and picture special covering the event including photographs from the day and a full list of results.
For more information and up-to-date news on the race please visit www.ipswichhalfmarathon.co.uk.
Are you taking part in the half marathon for a special reason? Write to Your Letters, Evening Star, 30 Lower Brook Street, Ipswich, IP4 1AN, or you can e-mail eveningstarletters @eveningstar.co.uk