Ipswich: Borough council refutes rumours of redundancies and cost-cutting at Regent Theatre
- Credit: Archant
Staffing changes at Ipswich Regent Theatre have required workers to reapply for their jobs - but are not “cost-cutting measures”, their employer insists.
Ipswich Borough Council, which runs the theatre, said the changes were intended to give the staff greater employment rights and refuted suggestions of staff redundancies to make budget savings.
A borough spokesman said: “There are no cost-cutting measures relating to the people who work at our Regent Theatre.
“We are changing the way we employ some of them because they work there regularly and as such are entitled to full employment rights such as holidays and sick pay. Previously, they have been on casual contracts without such rights.”
The council said the new approach will give the employees a “guaranteed number of hours” in a number of different roles.
You may also want to watch:
“We are asking people who have been on casual contracts previously to let us know which roles and how many hours they want to be contracted for so we can ensure we have a fair and transparent process and can ensure that we have the right skills in the right places,” the spokesman added.
“The council is working closely with those affected and with Unison to minimise the impact of the process of delivering this change which is ultimately beneficial to the workforce.”
- 1 Supermarket switch opens door to new Ipswich Lidl
- 2 Former Ipswich teacher appears in court charged with historic sex offences
- 3 Brunch trip leaves friend group 'anxious' after spiking fears
- 4 Man accused of Ipswich stabbing refuses to leave cell to enter plea
- 5 Well-known Felixstowe bookseller to retire and hand over to vinyl store
- 6 Major Ipswich road partially blocked after crash involving Audi and Mercedes
- 7 'It's like we're in the stone age' - Homophobic abuse halts LGBT+ parties
- 8 No need to wait for booster invitation - clarification after Covid jab confusion
- 9 First look inside Ipswich's new Geek Retreat games cafe
- 10 Specialist engineers working to fix Ipswich flooding hotspot