Ipswich: Chain-wielding car vandal is handed drug order
Ipswich: A chain-wielding thug embarked on an eight-car vandalism spree, smashing windscreens and lights at random.
Christopher Woodward, of Stoke Street, was seen crashing the chain into cars parked along Wallace Road, Eustace Road and Pitcairn Road, on April 2.
The 27-year-old then lashed out at police officers scrambled to restrain him, pushing one and spitting at another, it was revealed as he appeared for sentencing at South East Suffolk Magistr- ates’ Court on Wednesday.
Tess James, prosecuting, said: “The defendant was seen walking down Bramford Road, then he was seen smashing windows of cars at random along Wallace Road.
“The police were called,” she added. “But he carried on using a chain, swinging his arm back and smashing the windows.
“The police approached the defendant and tried to arrest him. The defendant pushed the officer – causing him to step back.”
Woodward, who had admitted the assault and vandalism charges at an earlier hearing, was sentenced to a 12-month community order and a six-month drug rehabilitation requirement.
- 1 Look inside stunning £950k home close to Christchurch Park in Ipswich
- 2 Lorry overturned on roundabout closes A14 near Felixstowe
- 3 A14 reopens after 'serious' crash involving three lorries
- 4 Road closed while fire crews tackle Martlesham blaze
- 5 Motorist angry over £100 'fine' at Ipswich car park
- 6 A12 partially reopens after crash near Copdock Interchange
- 7 Aldi chocolate and yoghurts containing metal among recent recalled products
- 8 Retired Felixstowe nurse fears eviction after struggle to find social housing
- 9 Ladies night event in Kesgrave with strippers sold-out in five days
- 10 Wallets stolen and bank cards used after cars broken into
He was also told to pay �237.50 in compensation to his victims, not all of whom asked to be reimbursed.
During the spree he smashed the front and rear windscreens of a Volkswagon Golf, causing �400 of damage. He also smashed the front lights on two cars belonging to the same resident.