Ipswich chef fined for not having proper car insurance while delivering Chinese takeaway
- Credit: Sarah Lucy brown
A chef at his wife’s Ipswich Chinese takeaway is nearly £400 worse off today after she asked him to deliver a meal.
Jock Huang, of Camden Road, Ipswich, pleaded guilty at South East Suffolk Magistrates’ Court to driving without the proper insurance.
Magistrates heard although the 62-year-old – who is also known as Jock Wong - did have a valid insurance document to drive his Saab 93 for domestic use, he was not covered to use it as a delivery vehicle.
Prosecutor Colette Harper said Huang was stopped by police in Stoke Park Drive, Ipswich, at 8.15pm on October 24.
At the time he was using the Saab to deliver a meal to a customer in Downside Close.
You may also want to watch:
The court heard Huang told police that his wife runs at Chinese takeaway and it was very busy that Saturday night so he was helping out.
Huang said he thought his son had insured the car for business use but subsequently became aware that was not the case.
- 1 Ipswich council faces financial black hole over empty BHS store
- 2 Man dies after being struck by lorry near A12
- 3 Royal Mail confirms removal of Ipswich postbox
- 4 Suffolk man waits 12 hours for ambulance after suffering stroke
- 5 Ipswich reports England's highest rise in Covid infection rate
- 6 Felixstowe woman accused of setting fire to caravan and drink driving
- 7 Arrest warrants issued for men facing sheep charges
- 8 Budding musician caught with drugs in buttocks is spared prison
- 9 Anger as 'three to four large skips' of fly-tipped rubbish blocks road
- 10 MoD warns about late-night Apache training
Through a Cantonese interpreter Huang told the court he was a chef at his wife’s business and did not do deliveries.
However, that night there was a high demand for takeaways and Huang’s wife asked him to stop cooking to deliver a meal.
Magistrates fined Huang £120 and ordered him to pay £85 costs.
He was also told he must pay a £150 criminal courts charge and £20 to the victims’ fund.