Ipswich: Community in shock as police investigate rape
A COMMUNITY is today in shock after police officers launched a rape inquiry after reports a woman was attacked in a town park.
Police have confirmed officers were called on Saturday to reports that a woman had been raped in Christchurch Park during the early hours of the morning in an incident involving two men.
Officers cordoned off an area of the park near to the arboretum and an entrance off Henley Road.
Scenes of crimes officers scoured the area for clues, while officers spoke with the victim to establish exactly what happened.
The victim, who is believed to be 18, was taken to the sexual assault referral centre on Saturday where specially trained officers took statements and spoke with her.
You may also want to watch:
Richard Wilson, of the Friends of Christchurch Park community group told The Ipswich Star that he was left shocked by the incident.
He said: “I was shocked to hear about this appalling incident.”
- 1 Updated: Bury Road reopened after two car collision near BMW garage
- 2 Members of 'notorious' Ipswich gang jailed for 19 years
- 3 Life sentence for man who stabbed and left woman in field near Ipswich
- 4 Semi-pro footballer ready to kickstart Football Fun Factory in Ipswich
- 5 Three fire engines called to Ipswich flat fire
- 6 Matchday Recap: Aluko brace not enough as Blues draw at Cambridge
- 7 New details emerge about diesel spill which closed A14 for 12 hours
- 8 Tributes paid to inspirational Ipswich teenager Harrison Boyd, 13
- 9 Ipswich woman's drug dealing confiscation hearing adjourned
- 10 Ipswich council faces financial black hole over empty BHS store
A spokesman for Suffolk Police said: “Just before 6.45am police received the call giving details of the victim being attacked by two men in Christchurch Park.
“The incident is said to have occurred sometime between 2.30am and 5am.”
Anyone with information relating to this incident is asked to call Ipswich CID on 101. Alternatively, you can call Crimestoppers anonymously on 0800 555 111.