Ipswich: Concern over work being carried out at Broomhill Park
- Credit: Contributed
NEIGHBOURS living near Broomhill Park have expressed concerns over the conservation work being carried out by offenders working with the probation service.
The group have been clearing undergrowth in the park, which has left some people living in the area concerned about what is happening.
One park user was outraged to see undergrowth that should soon be alive with birds nesting being cut back.
He said: “At first it seemed they were clearing back vegetation and foliage encroaching on the footpaths onto the park but it now looks like a scorched earth policy.
“They are ripping out all low level vegetation, brambles, gorse and holly trees, even chopping back small saplings, leaving a mess of twigs and branches, and bare earth which has become mud and runs off downhill in the recent rains.”
He was worried that the work could have a devastating effect on the wildlife in the area.
However a spokesman for Ipswich Borough Council council insisted they were doing necessary clearance work before the growing season began.
- 1 Travellers pitch up at park in Ipswich
- 2 15 of the best photos from Ipswich Music Day 2022
- 3 Ipswich Music Day 2022: All you need to know
- 4 Ipswich family's visa nightmare leaves them fearing separation
- 5 Fuel protests: Twelve miles of queues reported on A12
- 6 Road closed and person trapped in car after crash
- 7 'School family' to skydive for TA diagnosed with brain tumour
- 8 Suffolk DJ 'couldn't believe' call to perform before Diana Ross
- 9 5 of the highest paid jobs in Suffolk right now
- 10 Keys secured as 'Goliath' £1.2m needed to restore burned down church
He said: “The group from Suffolk Probation Service is working to ensure that the site is maintained.
“Broomhill is currently a good mix of grassland, woodland and every stage of growth between.
“To ensure that this remains the case we have to halt the growth of bramble and scrub through regular maintenance. This work is planned and thought out carefully before anything happens on site.”
Will the work improve Broomhill Park? Write to Your Letters, Ipswich Star, 30 Lower Brook Street, Ipswich, IP4 1AN or email starletters@ archant.co.uk