Ipswich: Councillor quits after just four months
IPSWICH: A by-election is looming in one of the borough’s most marginal wards - after the shortest term as councillor most people can remember.
Conservative Sarah Stokes won the St Margaret’s Ward by 60 votes over the Liberal Democrats in May this year.
However she has now resigned from the authority for personal reasons and the Lib Dems will be aiming to win back a seat they had held at every election since 1999.
Mrs Stokes’s four months as a councillor is the shortest period most people can remember – there have been candidates who have won seats they had not expected in the past but none has stood down in less than a year.
And St Margaret’s was always near the top of the Tories’ targets as the Lib Dems faced a crumbling vote in this year’s elections.
Conservative group leader John Carnall said: “We understand this is a personal decision by Sarah and we are sorry she has not been able to remain as a councillor.”
Mrs Stokes was not able to comment on the reasons behind her resignation.
- 1 Cannabis dealer jailed after being caught with drugs in Range Rover
- 2 What time will the Red Arrows be flying over Suffolk this weekend?
- 3 Revealed: The top serious crash hotspots in Ipswich
- 4 Planning application for new Taco Bell in Ipswich expected 'imminently'
- 5 Neighbours raised alarm after man not seen for several days
- 6 Suffolk M&S stores to stay open as Colchester shop closes down
- 7 Explained: What the cost of living support package means for you
- 8 Every household in the UK to get £400 to help with rising energy bills
- 9 Man who attacked partner after she travelled 10 hours to see him is jailed
- 10 Teenage boys arrested after police seize suspected class A drugs in Ipswich
Meanwhile the Liberal Democrats, who hold the other two St Margaret’s seats, are already preparing for the by-election.
The party’s Inga Lockington, who also represents the ward, said: “I am sorry to hear she has had to resign, I only met her a couple of times but she seems very nice.
“However we have to look ahead now and I’m sure my party will be preparing for the by-election and we will be very hopeful of winning it back straight away.”
- How well are you served by your councillor? Write to Your Letters, Evening Star, 30 Lower Brook Street, Ipswich, IP4 1AN or e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org