'They are an inspiration to us all' - family celebrate Diamond Wedding
- Credit: Gabrielle Pemberton
A diamond wedding couple who met at work say they have had "a fantastic 60 years together" and have been blessed with health and happiness.
John and Jacqy Crouch, from Ipswich, met more than half a century ago, were married on September 23, 1961, and have stayed together ever since.
They met in Cambridge where they both worked at Boots Pharmacy in the early 1960s, where John plucked up courage to ask Jacqy out.
They spent time courting by the River Cam, and doing the "usual things" like going to the cinema and theatre, John, 82, said, before he eventually proposed.
He said: "It wasn't as free and easy as it is now. You lived at home with your parents until you could set up home with your husband or wife."
You may also want to watch:
The couple's children Steve and Sarah-Louise, now 53 and 56, have remained at the centre of the pair's lives and celebrated their anniversary last week with more than 20 other loved ones.
The happy couple both agreed the highlight of their married life has been their family, which also includes three granddaughters, who they love spending time with.
- 1 Updated: Bury Road reopened after two car collision near BMW garage
- 2 Members of 'notorious' Ipswich gang jailed for 19 years
- 3 Life sentence for man who stabbed and left woman in field near Ipswich
- 4 Semi-pro footballer ready to kickstart Football Fun Factory in Ipswich
- 5 Three fire engines called to Ipswich flat fire
- 6 Matchday Recap: Aluko brace not enough as Blues draw at Cambridge
- 7 New details emerge about diesel spill which closed A14 for 12 hours
- 8 Tributes paid to inspirational Ipswich teenager Harrison Boyd, 13
- 9 Ipswich council faces financial black hole over empty BHS store
- 10 Ipswich woman's drug dealing confiscation hearing adjourned
John and Jacqy, 79, love to travel having visited many places with their favourite being the Far East and America. They hope to resume their trips next year when restrictions hopefully ease.
As well as seeing family, both are keen gardeners and Jacqy is famous for her baking skills while John is a keen aviation enthusiast and is a volunteer at the local aeroplane museum.
They are looking forward to more celebrations next year when Jacqy turns 80.
Granddaughter Gabrielle Pemberton said: "I think it's very rare nowadays to find a love that lasts a lifetime, but that's what my grandparent's have built; not only a solid marriage but also a loving home and a beautiful family.
"They really are an inspiration to us all, as well as everyone they meet."