Ipswich court security staff save man attempting to take his own life

South East Suffolk Magistrates Court

South East Suffolk Magistrates Court - Credit: Sarah Lucy brown

Three security staff saved a man as he apparently attempted to take his own life outside the magistrates’ court in Elm Street, Ipswich.

The man had become distressed after appearing before the court on Monday morning charged with three counts of theft.

After leaving the courtroom he was reported to have told at least one person he had wanted to go to prison.

The 42-year-old then went outside and tried to take his life on the pavement near the front door of the building.

A female security guard and a male colleague are reported to have restrained the man in an attempt to prevent him from doing so.

A second male colleague heard the commotion and dashed down the stairs from the first floor of the court to assist his fellow members of staff.

The man is understood to have lost consciousness during the incident, but survived.

Most Read

Court staff contacted the ambulance service, who in turn telephoned police.

The man involved was taken to Ipswich Hospital after being detained under the Mental Health Act.

Tim Cracknell, a spokesman for Suffolk Constabulary, confirmed police had also attended the incident.

He said: “Police were contacted by the ambulance service at 11am on Monday regarding a man in distress at Ipswich Magistrates’ Court.

“The incident was quickly resolved and the man was detained under Section 136 of the Mental Health Act and taken to hospital.”

However, it is understood the man – who had been living in Ipswich – was not kept in overnight and was released after being assessed.

The man had earlier admitted three charges of shoplifting on August 23 in Stowmarket.

He stole three razors, three dvds and a Scholl Foot Pedicure set with a total value of £90 from Superdrug.

The man also pleaded guilty to stealing items valued at £5 from Morrisons and men’s clothing worth £50 from Peacocks.

Magistrates fined him a total of £30 and ordered him to pay £255 in costs and court charges.