Ipswich cycling spectacular kicking off at town’s Waterfront to be ‘bigger and better than ever’
Cyclists are getting pumped for a summer sports spectacular which will take competitors on a scenic tour of Suffolk.
Starting and finishing on Ipswich’s iconic Waterfront, the fifth annual Crafted Classique cycling event will see participants pedal off into countryside, passing by towns such as Wickham Market, Melton and Woodbridge.
Challengers can choose how far they go – with distances ranging from 55km to 100km to the more gruelling 100 miles – when the sportive kicks off on August 11.
Organised with the aim of collecting thousands of pounds for St Elizabeth Hospice, the cycling spectacular was born out of a collaboration between digital agency Crafted and a host of other partners, including British Cycling, the University of Suffolk and Ipswich Borough Council.
“We’re thrilled to be working with the Crafted Classique team as their charity partner for the second year,” said Joanne Rodger, events and challenges manager at the hospice.
You may also want to watch:
“The family-friendly event has become an important challenge in the cycling calendar as it grows in popularity every year, so we’re expecting to see even more of our supporters getting in involved after the success of last year’s event.”
Riders with vintage bicycles can take their two-wheeled wonders out for a leisurely spin during the Crafted Classique retro ride, while youngsters can enjoy the mini challenge made specifically for children.
- 1 'An absolute honour' –Ipswich woman crowned Miss Universe Great Britain
- 2 Man pulled into car before being beaten and robbed in Ipswich
- 3 Ipswich market moves as work starts on Botanist restaurant
- 4 Is a new tenant lined up to move into Ancient House in Ipswich?
- 5 Giant inflatable obstacle course coming to an Ipswich park
- 6 'Don't wait' - People urged to get coronavirus booster
- 7 Ipswich's Covid infection rate now the highest in England
- 8 Father and son admit keeping banned weapons at Woodbridge home
- 9 Major delays on A12 after five vehicle crash
- 10 Matchday Recap: Blues cruise to victory at Fratton Park
Race bosses are hoping this year’s event will be bigger and better than ever – last year, more than 700 people took part.
Hundreds of spectators gathered close to the finish line, near Cult Cafe, creating a carnival-style atmosphere.
Ian Miller, CEO of Crafted, said: “We’re proud to be supporting the Crafted Classique for the fifth year running.
“The event which appeals to all cycling abilities, has grown brilliantly year-on-year and we’re expecting an even higher turnout for 2018.
“Cycling has always been a big feature of Crafted life and we’re looking forward to joining the start line once again on 11th August.”
Those interested in taking part are being invited to dust down their bikes and get into training ahead of this summer’s challenge.
Discover how to sign up by visiting the Ipswich Cycling Weekend website.
Enter before April 16 to qualify for the early bird offer.