Ipswich Crown car park to get two more bins after litter debate
- Credit: Gregg Brown
Ipswich Borough Council will install more bins and improve its cleaning regime at Crown car park following pressure from the Ipswich Star.
Earlier this week, we contacted the council after receiving a letter from a member of the public saying the car park had not been cleaned for at least five weeks. An Ipswich councillor then joined the debate about the car park saying she had twice requested for the area to be cleaned in the past four months.
The council sent an emergency clean-up team and has now vowed to add two more bins to the one that is already there and to work out a permanent, regular cleaning rota.
A borough spokesman said: “We would urge people who use the car park or walk across it to not chuck the litter on the floor and to use the bins provided.”
Inga Lockington, borough councillor for the St Margaret’s ward where the Crown car park is located, said she wrote to the service manager of Crown car park last December asking for the car park to be cleaned because it was “very dirty”.
Earlier this month, Ms Lockington said the car park had become “absolutely awful again”, and after she also received a complaint from a resident, she rewrote to the manager asking to see the car park’s cleaning rota.
You may also want to watch:
“I have often been ashamed about how dirty it is,” she said. “It’s sad the way people just chuck their rubbish.
“A place like that needs to get a cleaning rota and I haven’t had an answer myself.”
- 1 Ipswich council faces financial black hole over empty BHS store
- 2 Man dies after being struck by lorry near A12
- 3 Suffolk man waits 12 hours for ambulance after suffering stroke
- 4 Felixstowe woman accused of setting fire to caravan and drink driving
- 5 Royal Mail confirms removal of Ipswich postbox
- 6 Arrest warrants issued for men facing sheep charges
- 7 Members of 'notorious' Ipswich gang jailed for 19 years
- 8 Ipswich reports England's highest rise in Covid infection rate
- 9 Life sentence for man who stabbed and left woman in field near Ipswich
- 10 Budding musician caught with drugs in buttocks is spared prison