Ipswich: Dangerous driver in 60mph police chase jailed

IPSWICH: Disqualified driver Sean Tyrrell has been jailed after a 60mph police pursuit ended with him smashing into two cars, including one containing a three-year-old boy.

Today, the 24-year-old – who has 80 convictions for 115 offences – is beginning a two-and-a-half year jail term after admitting nearly 30 offences.

He was sentenced at Ipswich Crown Court yesterday for dangerous driving, driving while disqualified, driving with no insurance, fraud, handling stolen goods, and theft. In addition Tyrrell, of Wellington Street, Ipswich, asked for 17 further dishonesty offences to be taken into consideration.

As well as speeding through 40mph speed limits, Tyrrell drove on the wrong side of the road, caused a police car to take evasive action and went around roundabouts the wrong way during the chase which began in Anglesea Road at around 12.50pm on January 26.

Prosecutor Shereen Dyer said the incident started when Pc Nick Rush saw Tyrrell get into a white Ford Transit van. Knowing he was a disqualified driver, the officer requested assistance as the van was being driven erratically. When Pc Rush put his police siren on, Tyrrell drove off at speed.

The vehicle then made a manoeuvre and headed towards Pc Rush’s unmarked vehicle, which went up on to the kerb to avoid a collision.

After heading along Colchester Road, the van turned into Cemetery Lane with a number of police vehicles giving chase.

Most Read

The court heard Tyrrell was driving at 60mph and was in the middle of the road. After one roundabout he mounted a pavement on two wheels and overtook other vehicles.

He then went around a roundabout the wrong way.

Still driving at speeds around 60mph the chase finally came to an end when Tyrrell’s van collided with a Ford Focus and a Ford Galaxy as he went the wrong way over the roundabout at Rushmere Road and Woodbridge Road.

The impact on the Galaxy, which contained Rosemary Mason and her three-year-old son Fran, shunted it into the middle of the road, although they were not hurt.

As the transit hurtled towards the petrol station next to the Golden Key public house, police blocked its path to prevent Tyrrell escaping. He was arrested nearby.

The court was told Tyrrell could not explain why he did what he did.

Rebecca Fairbairn, mitigating, said: “He can only describe it as a moment of madness.”

Sentencing Tyrrell to six months imprisonment, Judge Gerard Pounder told him: “The public were perhaps very fortunate that no one was hurt because it was an appalling piece of driving.”

Tyrrell was also given a two-year driving ban.

Tyrrell also received a two-year jail term for 24 offences of dishonesty and another driving while disqualified charge.

He had previously pleaded guilty to five counts of fraud, driving while disqualified, handling stolen goods, and theft and asked for 17 further offences of dishonesty to be taken into consideration.