Ipswich: Devastation after library break-in
Police are today hunting for thieves who broke into a library in the town and stole CDs and console games.
Staff at Westbourne Library, in Sherrington Road, were left devastated when they arrived on Thursday morning to discover the break-in.
A police spokeswoman confirmed the incident happened at about 11.30pm on Wednesday and that officers were currently investigating.
It is the second time the library has been targeted by thieves in the last three weeks and staff are pleading with the public to help catch those responsible.
Margaret Butler, joint acting manager of the library, said: “It’s absolutely devastating that this has happened.
“This is the second incident in the last three weeks – it’s terrible to see a community resource being abused in this way.
“Staff today have been relentless in their efforts to clear away the broken glass so that we can safely open to the public tomorrow.
- 1 First look inside Ipswich's new Tim Hortons ahead of opening
- 2 Star Suffolk breakfast blogger reveals her favourite food around Ipswich
- 3 Push for 4 day work week in Suffolk after company's profits soar 200%
- 4 Open day for Ipswich pub on sale for £300,000
- 5 Woman who claimed council tax support had income of £100k per year
- 6 ‘I’ve got no life’ - Ipswich woman's agony as she waits for operation
- 7 Man with learning difficulties will not go to prison for sex offence
- 8 Drug dealer found with cannabis, 133 tablets and cash jailed
- 9 Ladies night event in Kesgrave with strippers sold-out in five days
- 10 Aldi chocolate and yoghurts containing metal among recent recalled products
“If anyone has any information about what has happened, please get in touch with the police.”
Garath Jones, pictured, chairman of the Friends of Westbourne Library, added: “This is just disgraceful behaviour and we are just really disappointed today after hearing this news – it’s such a shame.
“It’s the community that their actions are impacting on.”
The library was closed to the public yesterday while staff cleared up. It is expected to be open again today. Visit www.suffolklibraries.co.uk for more information.
If you were in the area at the time, or have any information about the theft, please call police on 101.