Ipswich double murder inquiry and West Meadows fire: What we know
A man and a teenage boy were stabbed on Thursday at the West Meadows traveller site in Ipswich near the Whitehouse Interchange.
On Sunday evening there was a large fire at the same site which involved several caravans and left a horse dead.
Here is what we know about the two incidents so far.
Thursday, December 8
• At 1.15pm a call was received by police to a reported stabbing at West Meadows, on the other side of the Whitehouse Interchange bridge from the Asda superstore.
• Police arrived on scene with an ambulance and the victim was taken to hospital. The westbound entry and exit slip roads for the A14 at the Whitehouse Interchange were both closed, causing major travel delays.
You may also want to watch:
• At 1.30pm police got a second call saying another stabbing victim had arrived outside The Ipswich Hospital.
• The second victim had also been stabbed at West Meadows but had been taken to hospital in a car.
- 1 Supermarket switch opens door to new Ipswich Lidl
- 2 Former Ipswich teacher appears in court charged with historic sex offences
- 3 Well-known Felixstowe bookseller to retire and hand over to vinyl store
- 4 Man accused of Ipswich stabbing refuses to leave cell to enter plea
- 5 No need to wait for booster invitation - clarification after Covid jab confusion
- 6 Work finally starts on the Ipswich Garden Suburb after decades of debate
- 7 Major Ipswich road partially blocked after crash involving Audi and Mercedes
- 8 'It's like we're in the stone age' - Homophobic abuse halts LGBT+ parties
- 9 15-year-old boy to face trial over alleged Ipswich stabbing
- 10 Specialist engineers working to fix Ipswich flooding hotspot
• Ipswich Hospital tweeted a message to say its services to patients this afternoon would not be affected by the incidents.
• At 9pm Suffolk Constabulary confirmed both victims, one a man in his 30s and the other a boy in his late teens, had died, with the incident being treated as a double murder enquiry.
• The force also saud a 17-year-old boy have been arrested on suspicion of murder in connection with the incident.
Friday, December 9
• The slip roads at the Whitehouse Interchange for the westbound A14 reopened in time for the morning rush hour.
• Around 1.30pm police revealed they had been granted an additional 12 hours to question the 17-year-old arrested the previous day.
• Suffolk Constabulary appealed for anyone with footage from car dash-cams who may have driven past the West Meadows site entrance between 8am and 3pm on December 8 to come forward
• Police are given another 36 hours to question the 17-year-old arrested on suspicion of murder.
Saturday, December 10
• Around 9.30pm Suffolk Constabulary announced they had charged the 17-year-old boy arrested on Thursday with the murder of two men and he was remanded in custody ahead of a court appearance on Monday, December 12.
Sunday, December 11
• A fire breaks out at the West Meadows travellers’ site, with fire crews called just after 10pm.
• The westbound entry slip for the A14 at the Whitehouse Interchange was closed because of the blaze.
Monday, December 12
• Suffolk Constabulary confirms that six people were arrested following a fire at West Meadows.
• They were two men from Ipswich aged 31 and 22, two men from Wickford, Essex aged 19 and 20, one man from Barnsley, South Yorkshire aged 23 and a teenage boy.
• One man sustained injuries from a bite from a police dog, while a horse injured in the incident died.