Ipswich: Drivers face delays as Wherstead Road works cause chaos
ipswich: Motorists were facing more delays this morning after roadworks and temporary traffic lights remained in place on one of the town’s busiest routes.
National Grid have been carrying out work in Wherstead Road since the beginning of the week, leaving motorists stuck in lengthy queues and severe delays as they struggle to reach work on time.
A spokeswoman for National Grid said: “The work being carried out is a domestic connection which means that gas is being supplied to a property.
“The temporary traffic lights were put in place to protect our workforce and to ensure the work could be carried out safely.”
She said the work would be completed this afternoon, in time for the rush hour traffic.
You may also want to watch:
Meanwhile, motorists travelling through the town centre were also left facing lengthy delays after a water main burst in Crown Street. The work caused one lane to be closed.
A spokesman for Anglian Water said engineers had been called out to Crown Street after a water main burst on Friday.
- 1 Hospital visits to be suspended due to Covid infection rise
- 2 'Small number' of street workers in Ipswich, 15 years after Steve Wright murders
- 3 Border Force 'urgently responding' to incident off the Harwich coast
- 4 Ipswich Flooring Superstore opening brings jobs and investment
- 5 Documentary on former world’s fattest man Paul Mason set to air
- 6 New movie to be shot in Suffolk in 2022, author announces
- 7 Drink driver found slumped at wheel after partying until 7am
- 8 £1,600 worth of power tools stolen while owner was shopping
- 9 What are the Covid rates in Suffolk — and could Christmas be affected?
- 10 Where to find the cheapest petrol in Suffolk as prices hit all-time high
He said work was carried out over the weekend and was completed yesterday afternoon.
n Have you been caught in lengthy queues due to roadworks? Write to Your Letters, Evening Star, 30 Lower Brook Street, Ipswich, IP4 1AN.