Ipswich: Drivers face delays as Wherstead Road works cause chaos
ipswich: Motorists were facing more delays this morning after roadworks and temporary traffic lights remained in place on one of the town’s busiest routes.
National Grid have been carrying out work in Wherstead Road since the beginning of the week, leaving motorists stuck in lengthy queues and severe delays as they struggle to reach work on time.
A spokeswoman for National Grid said: “The work being carried out is a domestic connection which means that gas is being supplied to a property.
“The temporary traffic lights were put in place to protect our workforce and to ensure the work could be carried out safely.”
She said the work would be completed this afternoon, in time for the rush hour traffic.
Meanwhile, motorists travelling through the town centre were also left facing lengthy delays after a water main burst in Crown Street. The work caused one lane to be closed.
A spokesman for Anglian Water said engineers had been called out to Crown Street after a water main burst on Friday.
- 1 Man detained after early morning incident in Ipswich road
- 2 Firefighters called to Ipswich house fire
- 3 Baby and toddler retailer Mamas & Papas set for Ipswich return
- 4 7 roadworks for drivers in Suffolk to be aware of this week
- 5 Woman injured after leg bitten by dog in Ipswich
- 6 Man who stole over £1,000 in power tools jailed for 876 days
- 7 New 99-room Ipswich Travelodge expected to open next year
- 8 Boy, 14, arrested after serious sex attack in Suffolk town is released
- 9 Some East of England Co-op stores unable to take cash
- 10 'Amazing start' for baker who sells treats out of horsebox
He said work was carried out over the weekend and was completed yesterday afternoon.
n Have you been caught in lengthy queues due to roadworks? Write to Your Letters, Evening Star, 30 Lower Brook Street, Ipswich, IP4 1AN.